• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: QL Rare Instruments / DS Vibes - report

Share/Bookmark

QL Rare Instruments / DS Vibes - report

Just finishing up a score and wanted to thank Nick Phoenix and the DS guys for producing some very nice libraries.

I used the taiko drums, duduk, alpen horn (incredible in the low register), and middle eastern fiddle from Rare Instruments. I tended to stay with the pre-made licks for duduk and fiddle, although with a little practice with the keyswitching you can get good results playing actual composed parts.

Incredible stuff. Definitely a must-have for us Hollywood types. You\'ll no doubt soon be hearing these instruments all over the place. I feel very fortunate to have gotten my hands on a pre-release copy.

I also used some very nice soft vibes from the DS guys. Not as flashy or exotic as RI, but they sound great. There are some excellent marimbas here too, only I didn\'t get a chance to really check them out.

My one request (which I\'ve already mentioned to Donnie) is for some samples with the motor on. There is a pseudo-motor effect (with the LFO?) you get with the mod wheel, but it\'s not the same. Of course this brings up the problem of sampled motor vibrations for each note playing out of phase with each other, which is not a realistic sound. But I still like it better than the LFO (which, in any case, seem to be triggered for each note, which doesn\'t solve the problem anyway).

Maybe in a DS Mallets upgrade?

The XSample vibes don\'t sound nearly as natural to my ears as the DS vibes, but I really wanted the sound of the motor, so I used the XSample vibes in a few places.

Thanks again

- Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Beck (edited 04-18-2001).]

Re: QL Rare Instruments / DS Vibes - report

The vibes in AO sound quite realistic. There are versions of this instrument with the motor on. I\'ve used them many times, and have enjoyed the sound. I agree with you about the quality of the x-sampple vibes.

oh fine Chris BRAG!!! its like \"nyah nyah...look what I got!!!\" ;P

lesse...Friday release of RI....shipping...weekend...urgh......--elevator music plays while I wait--

\"do do doo do dooooo do do do dooo\"

its ok I\'ve got writers block and a deadline... who needs inspiring samples

I\'ll just hang out on this forum and watch threads rocket to the hundereds of posts,.....

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

[This message has been edited by KingIdiot (edited 04-19-2001).]

Chris is correct in that we did not sample the actual motor on....kind\'ve

As Chris mentioned you can\'t sample the motor on with the vibes and have it sound like vibes. Restriking each note would start the motor at different cycles creating an unrealistic sound. However many, actually most people wanted varying speeds of the motor. So to remedy this we did sample several notes with the motor on and then used them to accurately match the exact sound of the true motor. In the end we tested ourselves and we couldn\'t tell the difference.

Please don\'t think that just because we used an LFO to create the vibrato that it\'s not realistc because I can assure you it is.

In any event I\'m glad Chris is enjoying them and I hope to hear them soon on TV

Donnie

If the rare instruments library proves to be successful, then perhaps the \"rare\" instruments will not be so rare anymore...they\'ll be everywhere!!

I\'ll have to check that one out, i like trying out unusual intruments.

------------------
    www.mp3.com/jamesmcwilliams

Thats true. I thought about that alot when I was recording this library. In the end, though, it\'s how you use them.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jamesmcwilliams:
    If the rare instruments library proves to be successful, then perhaps the \"rare\" instruments will not be so rare anymore...they\'ll be everywhere!!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That\'ll be a good thing! That will mean that more people will have been introduced to the sound of these unique instruments that Nick has taken the time and energy to meticulously sample. Perhaps a lot of people don\'t write for these rare instruments because they don\'t know that they exist, not to mention what they sound like.

Ryan.

------------------
    Sonic Control
    www.soniccontrol.com
    Giga Users Network at
    www.soniccontrol.com/gigasampler/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Synth2k:
    That\'ll be a good thing! That will mean that more people will have been introduced to the sound of these unique instruments that Nick has taken the time and energy to meticulously sample. Perhaps a lot of people don\'t write for these rare instruments because they don\'t know that they exist, not to mention what they sound like.

Ryan.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree.

------------------
    www.mp3.com/jamesmcwilliams

Hi everyone...

Questions for Nick: when is Rare Instruments going to be available and where can I find it? I\'m doing a project that involves a great deal of ethnic music right now - could really use these samples if they\'re good.

I looked at www.soundsonline.com (East West) and there\'s no sign of it.

Thanks,
    Crispin

I called soundsonline last Monday and Jennifer told me next week the library will be available.

Go Back to forum