• Register
  • Help

Topic: Really dumb question-More than 16 voices

Share/Bookmark

Really dumb question-More than 16 voices

Is there a technique for getting the 64-bit ARIA player to handle a file with up to 32 voices?

I have a 64-bit laptop and FINALE is still only in 32-bit.

I'd like to use all of the 8GB of RAM I have for smoother sailing.
    Henry Howey
    Professor of Music
    Sam Houston State University
    Box 2208
    Huntsville, TX 77341
    (936) 294-1364
    http://www.shsu.edu/~music/faculty/howey.html
    Owner of FINALE Discussion List

Re: Really dumb question-More than 16 voices

In Finale, under the MIDI/Audio - Instrument Setup - VST Instruments, you will find that you can open 8 instances of Aria (or Kontakt 2 if you have it from older versions of Finale) with 16 channels in each.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Barnett View Post
    In Finale, under the MIDI/Audio - Instrument Setup - VST Instruments, you will find that you can open 8 instances of Aria (or Kontakt 2 if you have it from older versions of Finale) with 16 channels in each.
    I can do it in FINALE;-) I need the free-standing ARIA player under 64-bit;-)
    Henry Howey
    Professor of Music
    Sam Houston State University
    Box 2208
    Huntsville, TX 77341
    (936) 294-1364
    http://www.shsu.edu/~music/faculty/howey.html
    Owner of FINALE Discussion List

OK. It looked like you were trying to use it with Finale. Just open Aria as many times as you like, although I presume that there is a limit.

Warren

Quote Originally Posted by hhowey View Post
    I can do it in FINALE;-) I need the free-standing ARIA player under 64-bit;-)
    Sorry, but you can't do it -- although Finale is 64-bit compatible, it runs natively in the 32-bit environment, so you're stuck having to use the 32-bit version of ARIA with it.

Personally, I love Finale as a notation program, but MakeMusic is behind the curve on the 64-bit front. My gripe with MakeMusic is that I have e-mailed them and no one there can tell me if they even have plans for a 64-bit version with the next Finale release. Kinda find it difficult to understand why this is.

If you really need to break through the 4 GB RAM barrier, there's only one option you have for now. It is to buy a 64-bit DAW (for example Sonar 8.5 if you use Windows), generate MIDI files from Finale, and then you can work in the 64-bit environment with ARIA and use your DAW for MIDI performance editing. I know this defeats the whole purpose of having the Human Playback features in Finale, but unfortunately MakeMusic is painting us into a corner here.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Go Back to forum