• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: JABB vs. GPO intruments

Share/Bookmark

JABB vs. GPO intruments

I use GPO to create lush orchestral music. On a blues-rock song I'm working on, though, I wanted some trumpet and trombone stabs. The GPO samples, however, don't have the sharp attack I'm looking for. Can anyone tell me if the samples in GPO are different from those offered in JABB? I'd really appreciate it.

Joe
    iMac quad-core i7, 8G RAM, external firewire drives (1 for samples, 1 for audio files)

Re: JABB vs. GPO intruments

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Stoner View Post
    I use GPO to create lush orchestral music. On a blues-rock song I'm working on, though, I wanted some trumpet and trombone stabs. The GPO samples, however, don't have the sharp attack I'm looking for. Can anyone tell me if the samples in GPO are different from those offered in JABB? I'd really appreciate it.

Joe
    The samples are different, and it sounds like it wouldn't hurt for you to have both libraries. By the way, if you have GPO4, you can run patches from GPO and JABB side-by-side in ARIA if you want.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

What's the difference like?

All different samples?
    Ensembles vs. solo instruments?
    Other articulations?

Quote Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
    What's the difference like?

All different samples?
    Ensembles vs. solo instruments?
    Other articulations?
    To my ears, they sound like completely different samples--different players, different instruments (for example, I think the SAM trumpet samples in GPO were played with larger bore trumpets than the JABB samples).
    Dean L. Surkin
    Steinway A104030
    Sonar X2 (professional), Finale 2011, JABB 3, GPO

Ok, thanks, how similar are they in the way they work?
    All same controllers and expressions?

They are pretty different, Sun.

GPO brass sounds more educated, polished. JABB sound "jazzier" and "brassier".
    Look, in both cases the instruments are meant to play in ensemble, either orchestral or big band. They are not perfectly detailed if used solo or exposed, but really work well if used as programmers intended, which is as a whole, together with other instruments.
    JABB instruments, though, provide a few more controllers so they get closer to detail. In particular, all winds in JABB provide adjustable key noises (except trombones that...well... have no keys), adjustable vibrato (rate and intensity), adjustable breath noises, higher precision tone control with both filter and eq, and adjustable flutter/growl.
    Also, trumpets in JABB have control of various release techniques (doit, kiss, fall) that are sampled and can be accessed through specific controllers.
    Finally, GPO offers an emulation of brass mutes through filtering, while trumpets and trombones in JABB offer samples-backed types of mutes (straight, cup, harmon and bucket, plus Plunger which I recall is emulated but adjustable).

Remaining controls (length, variation 1 and 2 and portamento) are similarly programmed and basically work the same way both in GPO and JABB.

Hope this has been helpful.

Fabry

Thanks a lot Fabry!

That's really helpful info. I have the Jabb3, and I'm quite happy with it. My usage is mainly for solo-instruments or small ensembles.
    So, I was wandering if GPO could extend my collection in a good way.
    Polished is often not what I aim for, and concert hall is not my typical space,
    so maybe GPO is not my best option.

Basically what I'm looking for is frensh horn, orc. prec. and solo strings.
    I have some with Kirk Hunter Pop Rock Strings, but some alternatives would be good I guess

I was sure it was the other way round: I thought you had GPO and were evaluating JABB

Fab

I have GPO Le that shipped with Cakewalk Dimension Pro some time ago.
    Is that a valid impression of what GPO4 sounds like?

It seems we have the same tastes in libraries...

I also have Dimension Pro, KirK Hunter Pop/Rock Strings, Jabb...

Yes, GPO sounds in Dimension Pro are a good representation of what you find in GPO which is though deeper, of course. For example, in Dimension there only is one oboe, in GPO there are 3 modern oboes, 1 classical, 1 oboe d' amore plus all derived variations, which GPO calls "player" versions.

The sound of the common material is absolutely the same, they have the same samples. Possibly, in Dimension the sounds are even better as they are clearer and not processed as deeply as in GPO, which, in turn, enhances playability with a more complex programming that you know well since you use JABB (JABB and GPO are pretty similar in their philosophy).
    You know how Dimension works: it pretty much gives you the raw sounds and pushes you to play with the on-board controls (envelopes, filters, layering and effects). GPO is the opposite: they tweak the sounds very deeply in order to squeeze expression and playability out of them and deliver to the end user a complete but fixed set of controllers to handle the emulated instrument.

GPO is an established and qualitative tool. It is not the best sounding VST orchestra out there but does the job and covers lots of musical ground, especially if one has alternatives concerning strings, in my humble opinion the only big weak point of the package (you have already a valid one with Kirk Hunter's strings, which are very good in my opinion. I particularly love the quarter divisions).

But, again, buy GPO only if you are needing/willing to score for orchestra. If you buy it for a couple of solo strings and french horns (part of which you already have in Dimension) you will be disappointed, always in my very humble opinion.

Again, hope to have been helpful. And do not take me very seriously, I am just a user like you

Fab

Go Back to forum