Well, now,this afternoon was an interesting experiment for me for two reasons. First was to see if I had the nerve to play the piano for a top notch pianist, whose latest program I had just reviewed. Well, I did not do as badly as I thought I would, once I managed to relax a bit. I played a bit of Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Hoagy Carmichael and Frankie Carle. The second reason was to test the recent installation of a new contraption, the Touch Rail, which is an easy and relatively inexpensive way of adjusting the touch weight of a grand piano, probably also an upright. It works well, and I will probably install one on my grand, but not right now. The touch weight on his Steinert is now about 40, and on his Baldwin, about 44. 44 is about right for me. It sure cuts down the fatigue and reduces troubles caused by arthritis, a problem for me since 1945 or so.

Next move for me is to learn some two piano duets to play on his two pianos, which are decently matched in size. When I returned home, I hauled out an old edition of the two piano version of Lecuona's Malagueña, which is easy, but I have not played it for 62 years. Only problem was page turning, my usual problem.

If you have heard of the touch rail and wondered about it, it is good, and if you have an opportunity, give it a whirl. It is great for people with arthritis!