• Register
  • Help

Topic: PENSIVE GIANT Tuba solo w/wind ensemble

Share/Bookmark

PENSIVE GIANT Tuba solo w/wind ensemble

Tuba solo with Wind Ensemble.

Gary http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10303322

Re: PENSIVE GIANT Tuba solo w/wind ensemble

It's a piece that needs a bit of careful listening. When it starts, it seems complex, but it's simpler than it appears. Short runs seem to be an important part of the sound, and they add a certain busyness. Later the instruments find themselves in calmer, more pensive waters, but even there the voice of the tuba is busier, and certainly more dominant than the others. Whatever the tuba is contemplating, it's not in harmonic agreement with the world around him, although it might be a reaction to it. Given the title, I had expected something statelier, but not all thought is slow, of course. The tuba seems a rapid thinker.

The orchestration is good, but the mix could do it more justice. I think the balance between soloist and ensemble favors the soloist, and the reverb is not really suitable. It's rather loud, and also room-like, which makes it feel a bit cramped.

Anyway, an interesting piece, well worth listening to. Is there an idea or story behind it?
    Theo

Re: PENSIVE GIANT Tuba solo w/wind ensemble

Thanks for listening, Theo.
    I'm not satisfied yet wi†h how the tuba remains covered in the 1st movement. I've
    reduced the players, but not all the little "busy" parts.
    A lot of instruments do sound weak. Sound does need more tweeking.
    This was originally tuba w/piano with the part in the 1st section. The rest was writtten in this piece.
    There's no story--just a feeling of Tuba striving to cut †hru the usual part of being the oom part of um-papa.
    Gary

Go Back to forum