• Register
  • Help

Topic: YTV News Theme + Ident (when arrangers have too much time on their hands)

Share/Bookmark

Cool YTV News Theme + Ident (when arrangers have too much time on their hands)

Hi folks,

This piece is very indulgent; it's from my youth (childhood music stays with you forever). It's the theme from our local independent TV broadcaster's news program: "Calendar".

Like all news themes, this one went through a number of incarnations; my arrangement is a mishmash of the best bits of all of them. Yorkshire Television commissioned the theme and it was used for quite a few decades.

It's not serious, it's just a fun, upbeat news theme

Unknown, Arr. Hawksley - Calendar + YTV Ident.mp3 [4.2 MB]

All the best,
    -John

PS - percussion is London Orch. Perc., strings, brass, w/w all GPO. Some other bits too

Re: YTV News Theme + Ident (when arrangers have too much time on their hands)

Ah! That takes me back a bit too with thoughts and images of local news and events - you can hear the presenters shuffling their scripts in readiness.

A very nice sounding, crisp and spacious recording too!

Feeling a bit homesick are we?

Hi Peter,

Wow - I thought nobody here would actually "get" it, smashing to have someone from York on! Not really homesick, but for some reason that bloody theme was in my head.. and you know how it is... empty Cubase in front of you, not much inspiration for something new... it just popped in there :-)

I'll always remember their announcer, Redvers Kyle, with the accompanying "Broadcasting from the Emley Moor and Belmont transmitters, this is Yorkshire Television" :-)

Thanks for having a listen; I work with headphones usually (plus I'm temporarily without speakers), so I get a really crisp image of what's happening and I can do the mix and balance with quite a bit of precision. The crispness is enhanced in post with a spectralizer step - this adds in upper harmonics and generally punches it up. It's not always appropriate :-)

Thanks again Peter!
    -John

Smashing, young chap! Simply smashing!

That's a nice chune and you did a good job with it, John 'awksley. Even though I have never heard it before, I enjoyed your take on it.

Thanks for posting.

Toodle Pip,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum