• Register
  • Help

Topic: Symphony No.2 First Movement

Share/Bookmark

Smile Symphony No.2 First Movement

I hope you enjoy my second symphony,the whole of which I will "thread" in the next few weeks. This is the first movement and features the full GPO.

Part 1 0f 2 http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9594679

Part 2 of 2 http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9594755

Comments would be most welcome, Antony B.

IF YOU WISH TO HEAR MORE OF MY MUSIC, PLEASE VISIT MY SITE -

www.flatfourmusicstore.co.uk

Re: Symphony No.2 First Movement

Hi Antony

I enjoyed listening to your piece. It newer gets boring and your themes are very charming. Maybe its because of the picture of the sailing ship but your music reminds me of golden-age-filmmusic. I think this piece could be enhance by adding more contrast to the orchestrations. But maybe this impression comes from the rendering. Try to make it sound less muddy. Right now the orchestra is way to much in the back. Your music deserves a much brighter, larger sound!

All the best
    JAN

I enjoyed listening to your piece. It newer gets boring and your themes are very charming. Maybe its because of the picture of the sailing ship but your music reminds me of golden-age-filmmusic. I think this piece could be enhance by adding more contrast to the orchestrations. But maybe this impression comes from the rendering. Try to make it sound less muddy. Right now the orchestra is way to much in the back. Your music deserves a much brighter, larger sound!

All the best
    JAN[/QUOTE]
    Hi JAN, thank you very much indeed for listening to the first movement of Symphony 1, and I am pleased that you enjoyed the music.

I'm sorry that you found some of it "muddy". There are sustained passages at the start of the piece,resulting in many orchestral, simultaneous, notes- perhaps that is what is concerning you. Would you make the same comment about the start of part 2 of 2 ? This is much simpler orchestration for xylophone, cymbal and light orchestral accompaniment. I should like to hear from you regarding this point , if you can spare the time. Antony B.

Yes, I think the second half has much more contrast in the orchestrations. Especially how you are working with the different sections (xylophone, cymbal and light orchestral accompaniment
    - brass part - xylophone, cymbal and light orchestral accompaniment). In my opinion there is a bit too much doubling in the first part. But maybe my impression comes from the rendering itself. I would like to hear the orchestra more in the foreground.

Oh by the way! I made a terrible mistake in my first post! Actually I wanted to say “It NEVER gets boring …” Sorry for that but I’m not used to write a lot of English, especially not about music.

All the best
    JAN

Antony,

Musically: I think the work is "charming" too. There is something about your style that is "stirring" - a good quality. I get trapped into listening... You capture the audience well.

Rendering: For some reason your full orchestral or brass section swells sound "shrill" to me.
    Not a big deal, probably the sounds or effects but I would like to check your score to see how you stack and double in your brass section. Just curious...

Much enjoyed!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Antony,

Musically: I think the work is "charming" too. There is something about your style that is "stirring" - a good quality. I get trapped into listening... You capture the audience well.

Rendering: For some reason your full orchestral or brass section swells sound "shrill" to me.
    Not a big deal, probably the sounds or effects but I would like to check your score to see how you stack and double in your brass section. Just curious...

Much enjoyed!

M
    Hi Michael. thank you very much for your kind comments and constructive criticism. Sorry about not being able to send you the score, as an attachment. All the best, antony

Antony,

Hey no problem.

Maybe try box.com(net?)

Post more soon!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Go Back to forum