• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hi Omnisphere!

Share/Bookmark

Smile Hi Omnisphere!

Greetings.

It's been a week since I bought Omnisphere and I'm really happy with it. It's my second bought VST instrument, the first one being Vienna Instruments SE+.

There are 4 things that convinced me to buy this product:
    1 - The sound quality.
    2 - It works in 64 bit mode.
    3 - I saw a long track of updates and support from the company.
    4 - Eric Persing, and the excellent videos from the product.

Of those, the third is the most important for me. I can buy a hardware synth, and after many years I can still sell it or trade it for another instrument. The same doesn't apply to software instruments, they are mostly short lived, and licenses make them hard to resell. That's why I try to be most sure of the support by the company before I buy anything, I need to know that my investment will last many years, and that I will have the chance to upgrade for better.

Not all is perfect, the software suffers from small bugs and annoying behaviour in certain areas, from my point of view, but in general as I said I'm pretty impressed and very happy with the sound quality. I feel very inspired by it.
    I work in a video game company, and this usually involves extreme care with details and "playability". Seeing such attributes in this instrument makes me feel like at home

I'm even thinking about buying Trillian and Stylus RMX too, but those will take some more time since I have to save some money first...

That's all, I wanted to say HELLO! and post my first impressions

Cheers,
    Alberto

Re: Hi Omnisphere!

Quote Originally Posted by dorremifasol View Post
    the software suffers from small bugs
    While that's certainly possible, it's unlikely at this point. Are you sure? Have you reported any problems to tech support?
    Glenn O
    Spectrasonics

I've not been able to produce them systematically and there have been some small updates recently, so maybe some bugs have been addressed in the last update (1.5.2d).

One of them involved defining a Midi Note Learn for the cursor selectors on the browse page. At some point after editing other areas the cursors stopped working well, not increasing or decreasing the instrument by one unit. They behaved like if the list was sorted in a different order than the one selected on screen.
    I still think there's something weird going on with CC assignments, but I need to be completely sure before sending a bug report. Yesterday I was making some CC assignments to control Omnisphere from my Nord Modular G2, and it worked fine, but at some point the knobs I assigned to the cutoff and resonance of Filter in Layer A, ended controlling the main global filter instead. I swear I didn't make it on purpose because at that moment I didn't know that filter existed! I found it because of the bug.

The other bug I haven't been able to reproduce again happened when I selected a sine waveform and shaped it using the shape control. It produced a very nasty sound an temporary DC offset that clipped the output for a while.

Hi Glenno

Does this new update 1.5.2 mean a new authorization code because i know i have run out any advice,

I have also been experimenting with 64 bit cubase i have installed omni but it is running at 32bit in a 64bit host it plays fine, have i done something wrong or is this normal or should i be expecting problems in the future.

Keep up the good work spectro, my problem is what do i do with so many sounds

novaburst

Gigabyte EP43UD3L. Core2Duo3gighz6MBcatch.ram8gighz DDR21066hz.seagate1500TBHDD Soundcard:M-AUDIO Fasttrack Pro USB. OS windows764bit.Host Cubase5update 5.1.1. Wavelabstudio 6. Hypersonic with modules. Omnisphere. VST sound collection. HALion Sonic VST Workstation upgrade.
    Hardware:dual monitors. controlFreek 16 channel. ART DIGITAL MPA ll preamplifier. Samson CVALVE. BOSS Noise Suppressor. BasePodLine6. BEHRINGER 8channal mixer.NAD AMP. JBL speakers.Instruments: yamahaP80. yamahaSY35. fender strat. washburn acustic guitar, main intrument: yamaha six stringTBR base guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by novaburst View Post
    Hi Glenno

Does this new update 1.5.2 mean a new authorization code because i know i have run out
    You can authorize as many computers as you need to. Our system is smart that way. :-)

Keep up the good work spectro, my problem is what do i do with so many sounds
    Thanks! :-)

The Favorites and Projects feature can really help with that:

http://www.spectrasonics.net/video/v...+Button=Search

Thanks Eric

as from today each time i update i will be doing it for 32bit and 64bit as now i am running 32 and 64bit cubase on the same system and have Omni running in the two

The sounds are many and great at the same time, very glad for Omni..... well worth the investment.

novaburst

Hi Eric! Nice to meet a legend in... forum

Cheers,
    Alberto

It sounds like you might be picking up midi learn assignments when loading a multi. Next time one of these problems happens, just save the multi and email it to tech support. They'll be able to identify what happened.

- Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by dorremifasol View Post
    I've not been able to produce them systematically and there have been some small updates recently, so maybe some bugs have been addressed in the last update (1.5.2d).

One of them involved defining a Midi Note Learn for the cursor selectors on the browse page. At some point after editing other areas the cursors stopped working well, not increasing or decreasing the instrument by one unit. They behaved like if the list was sorted in a different order than the one selected on screen.
    I still think there's something weird going on with CC assignments, but I need to be completely sure before sending a bug report. Yesterday I was making some CC assignments to control Omnisphere from my Nord Modular G2, and it worked fine, but at some point the knobs I assigned to the cutoff and resonance of Filter in Layer A, ended controlling the main global filter instead. I swear I didn't make it on purpose because at that moment I didn't know that filter existed! I found it because of the bug.

The other bug I haven't been able to reproduce again happened when I selected a sine waveform and shaped it using the shape control. It produced a very nasty sound an temporary DC offset that clipped the output for a while.
    Glenn O
    Spectrasonics

OK, I'll do like you say, thank you!

Cheers

Greetings,

I think I've found the bug that caused the problem I mentioned earlier:

It's very simple. I can define a midi message for the "Parameter BrowseUp" and "Parameter BrowseDown" learn assignments. This works well in the Patch Browser and the Multi Browser, but not in the Sound Source browser.

In the Sound Source Browser the buttons don't respond to any midi message, and can't be redefined either, the midi assignments don't work with them.

So, when I wanted to change the sound source using the previously defined midi messages for up and down, I was actually changing the Patch.

Cheers

Go Back to forum