• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My first day with GPO4... and my first result!

Share/Bookmark

My first day with GPO4... and my first result!

I've finally purchased GOP4 and fiddled with it in Reaper a bit, and although being a newbie to both tools, here's my first result coming out of it:

http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/temp/Cliffhanger.mp3
    (if clicking on the link gives an error, try copying and pasting the link into the address bar of the browser)

As the file name suggests it's the main theme to the Trevor Jones scored Stallone-flick "Cliffhanger", and based on a MIDI file which I've sequenced over 10 years ago. As Intrada recently released the complete score to the movie, I kinda felt an itch to dig it up and give it a facelift... or "earlift". The perfect first task for my new GPO4!

Being used to utilizing soundfonts, the approach was similar here. I've simply added an ARIA-VSTi to each MIDI track in Reaper, assembling string-, horn- and brass-ensembles from GPO. Stuff like cymbal- and timpani-rolls are pre-recorded samples, as I have yet to figure out, how to do them properly myself (I think I saw some tutorials on this on these boards). Gladly reaper makes it easy to program the mod-wheel for each track, probably the most important controller for GPO, and it really shows with the wonderfully blaring french horns! On top of it all I've added some Stereo Expansion, Reverb, Equalizing and Compression, although being rather new to audio-editing, I still have to find out how to apply these properly (the crescending notes, for example, seem to get some phasing effect at the end... not sure, which filter is causing that).

Being a film score buff, I've sequenced a lot of (exisiting) soundtrack cues in my teenage-years and early 20s, but haven't done so in a couple of years, focusing on other hobbies (and work life). I'm no musician... besides minimal guitar "skills" I don't play an instrument (especially no keyboard or piano, which probably would make sequencing music much easier), so I'm used to sequencing with the mouse, note by note. Also I didn't use sheet music, as I can't read notation, so everything I sequenced - just like the Cliffhanger theme above - was done entirely by ear. I guess I'll refurbish some of my other MIDIs as well and maybe I'll sequence some new stuff, now that I've found a new sound with GPO

Re: My first day with GPO4... and my first result!

Laserschwert,

Yep, I have to cut and paste the link... but worked just fine.

Great job on the rendering!
    I don't know if it is the compression or something else, but the recording felt very "boxed it"...
    I didn't hear any "air" or "space"...

Just my opinion... anyway - a nice rendering. Much enjoyed!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

You have got a nice, full sound, but the expression is still missing. Long notes sound static: they come to life when you add a bit of CC1 movement for each individual line. The contour should be a bit like when you sing the note (or the whole line). Nothing exaggerated, but I usually have a difference of 10 to 20 between highest and lowest points under a single note, and usually the peak lies under the highest note of a phrase, but that's up to your ears.

You should also experiment a bit with the gap between two notes and the attack velocity. In your piece I heard the strings having the same attack on each note, but that should sound more "legato", i.e. as one continuous line. But ... it's not easy to achieve.

So I'd say, that for a first time, this is a good result.
    Theo

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, I'm still a bit unsure how to use the ModWheel properly - where to place accents and where to dial it down. Also I have changed note velocity (attack) only slighty throughout the piece, so I guess I have to work on those changes a bit more. Auto-legato only works on solo instrument lines, and since it trips when using it on chords (which my main string track consists off) I turned it off for that one. There's still the "almost" solo string track for the melody, which does use auto-legato, but a question about that: Do the notes have to actually overlap, or is it enough for them to touch back to back (as I've sequenced using grid-snap) for auto-legato to work?

Quote Originally Posted by Laserschwert View Post
    I've finally purchased GOP4 and fiddled with it in Reaper a bit, and although being a newbie to both tools, here's my first result coming out of it...
    Laserschwert - Are you still with us? I'm reaching back into the vault this morning, as I do once in awhile in a continuing attempt to hear things I missed in the past.

This was an interesting post you put up since you had just gotten GPO and put together this track from a MIDI file you had sequenced so many years before. You received a few good, helpful tips in response, but more could still be said. A convincingly large enough venue for your virtual orchestra is one of the main ingredients missing - as in, there's not enough reverb.

But this was over a year ago - Hope you've been having fun using GPO and maybe you have a progress report for us.

Knock knock - anybody home? Hope you get auto-email about this new response to your post!

Randy

I tried to listen, but received the response: Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /temp/Cliffhanger.mp3 on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an
    ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.22 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.22 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5
    mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at
    soundtracks.mixnmojo.com Port 80

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    I tried to listen, but received the response: Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /temp/Cliffhanger.mp3 on this server...
    I should have posted the info from his original thread starter - You need to copy the URL and paste it into a new tab of your browser. Then you'll get the MP3.

Randy

Thank you. I will try again.

Say this, isn't this rather good for a newbie with GPO? If and when he sticks to this, he will become a master. Ok, there is a lot to alter in the rendering, but for now it is just good enough, taking into consideration that he is not a musician, can't read music. He is doing it right into the "rendering machine".

a. set the violins on front
    b. give it a bit more dynamics (soft against loud and the road towards those)
    c. don't ever compress anymore, it ruins the dynamics and the "air"
    d. spend some more time on timbre. That is: when an instrument plays louder the character of the sound alters.

Congratulations and go on making music. It is fun!!

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Say this, isn't this rather good for a newbie with GPO?...
    Yes, I agree it is, Raymond! The person who posted this has probably been long gone - But I was hoping that bringing his thread back to the top could get his attention. That would only work if he set his preferences to receive auto-email - something which unfortunately doesn't always work, and some people don't even know about - a situation which I submit is a MAJOR contributor to this Forum's lack of participation. During the periods when the auto-email doesn't work for me, it's maddening - I lose track of threads, I don't know when things have been updated, when there are new replies to answer etc--Thankfully, it usually is working for me. But without auto-email - threads are detached pieces of dust that quickly blow away.

Laserschwert - Hope you come back and let us know how you're doing with your music, with GPO - You were off to such a good start, then you disappeared!

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast