• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is it possible to lock the Key Switches?

Share/Bookmark

Is it possible to lock the Key Switches?

Many times during recording I noticed that I accidentally changed my key switch setting because I probably hit one of those keys. I have a set track for every articulation so I don't need to change the key switch. Is there a way to lock them so they can't changed anymore by hitting their keys?

André
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

Re: Is it possible to lock the Key Switches?

Hi André.
    Use non-KS instruments
    If I understand what you say, you have a track per articulation, so you don't need to load instruments that contains more than one at once.
    hope it helps.
    Tjah
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasvanHaren View Post
    Many times during recording I noticed that I accidentally changed my key switch setting because I probably hit one of those keys. I have a set track for every articulation so I don't need to change the key switch. Is there a way to lock them so they can't changed anymore by hitting their keys?

André
    What instruments are you using? You can create a new sfz copy that only contains the keyswitch you'd like to use.

What host are you using?
    Depending on your host and it's features, you could setup a MIDI filter which won't allow MIDI notes to pass in the range of your Keyswitches. Then you can trigger and switch the keyswitches manually on the ARIA interface. That way you'd stay locked in for as long as you wanted even if you accidentally hit some of those notes.

I am using Logic on Mac. And I want to use the short bowes, alternative bowing, but they aren't on single instrument patches, so I have to use KS for this.
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasvanHaren View Post
    I am using Logic on Mac. And I want to use the short bowes, alternative bowing, but they aren't on single instrument patches, so I have to use KS for this.
    Also worth mentioning you can offset the keyswitches to a lower octave, reducing the chance that you'll hit them by accident.

I wrote out a step by step process to do that here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...itches-in-GPO4

You can open up the bank file for the strings you want to change the KS for within the Garritan Personal Orchestra 4/banks/Standard folder.

Select the following:

<Define name="$set_sw_octave_offset" value=" "/>

Change to:

<Define name="$set_sw_octave_offset" value="sw_octave_offset=-1"/>

This will set the KS one octave lower. Set the offset to -2 for 2 octaves lower, ect.

Go Back to forum