• Register
  • Help

Topic: Omni TR Best Practices?

Share/Bookmark

Omni TR Best Practices?

Are there guidelines for getting the most stable behavior out of Omni TR? To be honest sometimes it works great and sometimes it is desperately unreliable and simply loses the connection constantly or doesn't affect the orb on screen with the ipad orb.I never change any settings and use the same wi-fi connection all the time. It is possible that the wi-fi connection may be causing the issues if it's not stable enough but other things such as the internet connection seem solid. I think there was one point when I was doing a time machine backup and it was unusable if I remember correctly.

I recognize that there are many other factors that can affect stability. So I was just wondering if there are guidelines to getting the most stability out of it. Best practices, things not to do etc...

Cheers

Re: Omni TR Best Practices?

It should just work. Wireless networks are subject to interference of course and network load can hinder responsiveness, but as it mentions on the help page, try turning off Bluetooth if you're having connection problems.
    Glenn O
    Spectrasonics

Are you using an ad hoc connection?

That's usually the fastest and most reliable way.

Damn, it must be the bluetooth. I totally forgot, I just put batteries in my bluetooth keyboard and started using it again. Wow, what a difference to stability. But that would be really unfortunate! I like my bluetooth keyboard, it's going to be hard to chose between the two.

Is anyone successfully using bluetooth devices at the same time? It's too soon to know for sure, as I may have been experiencing poor wi-fi connection yesterday. I'll hope so and see how it works tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
    Are you using an ad hoc connection?

That's usually the fastest and most reliable way.
    No like I said, I always use the same wi-fi. I find that ad hoc is a pain because you always have to set it up again if you use wi-fi in between sessions (which I do for internet). It was working great the other day (which in itself blows my mind that it can go downstairs to my router, then back up to my laptop to control things in real-time), but last night not so well. I'll just hope it's not my bluetooth keyboard. Will test tonight.

The Bluetooth interference only affects a small percentage of iPads. It appears to be an antenna problem. We're investigating to see if anything can be done in the app about this, but in the meantime, if you have an iPad which has this problem, just turn off Bluetooth while using Omni TR.

P.S. Be sure to check the help page in Omni TR and the FAQs at support.spectrasonics.net when you have problems like this.
    Glenn O
    Spectrasonics

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    The Bluetooth interference only affects a small percentage of iPads. It appears to be an antenna problem. We're investigating to see if anything can be done in the app about this, but in the meantime, if you have an iPad which has this problem, just turn off Bluetooth while using Omni TR.

P.S. Be sure to check the help page in Omni TR and the FAQs at support.spectrasonics.net when you have problems like this.
    Interesting thanks. I didn't go home to test last night but I will tonight. Just to clarify, my ipad doesn't have bluetooth on I don't think (but I could be wrong I suppose). But you're saying turn off the computer's bluetooth right?

Well I was using it again last night and it was behaving much better than the other night, even though I had my bluetooth keyboard on the whole time. So that leads me to believe that it must have been wi-fi problems causing the problems.

I'm thinking when the iphone 4.3 update comes out, the personal hotspot features might be a good way to go for ipad wi-fi apps like Omni TR. It's much easier to switch your wi-fi back and forth between remembered wi-fi signals than deal with ad hoc network which get forgotten every time you go back to wi-fi (as far as my experience shows me). We'll see soon enough how reliable the iphone wi-fi connection will be.

One other thing I noticed yesterday though - Although the orb control was working fine and the connection wasn't getting lost, sometimes it wasn't doing much to the sound and pressing the dice button didn't make any changes. I've never seen this before. I was also pressing it on the plug-in gui as well repeatedly and it wasn't affecting the sound at all (depth slider was at full). I know it's based on some algorithm, I wonder if it's possible that sometimes it just gets stuck and doesn't have an effect. I think it happened for a couple patches in a row. Then started working on different patches again.

Go Back to forum