• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sound Cloud

Share/Bookmark

Sound Cloud

I know several composers on here use Sound Cloud for hosting their music. Well, I just finally decided to switch to the service and sought out a Garritan group to join. As there wasn't one, I created one. So if you are using Sound Cloud, feel free to join!

http://soundcloud.com/groups/garritan

Hopefully this will help harbor even more collaboration among the community.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Re: Sound Cloud

Nice initiative, CJ.
    Hope to contribute as soon as my compositions will sounds less rubbish
    Greetings
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Sounds like a very well intentioned idea, CJ ... but what's wrong with just using the listening room? Would something else necessarily get more use?

Nifty, CJ - Thanks for setting that up.

Peter, The Listening Room is a very nice thing to have available to Forum members - A service like Sound Cloud provides a way to have music more generally available on the internet. For people wanting to have a potentially larger audience than only on the Forum, I think Sound Cloud, SoundClick, BandCamp - those kind of sites provide a helpful service.

Randy

Randy

I really appreciate CJ's goodwill, and I do realise that the Listening Room doesn't actually store any music ... we all have to put that on external web resources anyway, and are thereby free to promote it to potentially anyone on the web.

Using the Listening Room doesn't restrict anyone in that respect and even I have a Sound Cloud account as well as various others like it for various reasons.

My point though is that if it's a group specifically for Garritan users to share and discuss their work from a user perspective, adn perhaps get helpful feedback regardless of where the music is hosted, isn't that discussion best done on the official Garritan forum in the official area created specifically for that activity, where it will get most exposure to its specific target audience - i.e. Garritan users as opposed to a potentially wider non-user audience?

I just don't see what advantages using a Sound Cloud Garritan group will give over the Listening Room, especially when the Listening Room seems little enough used as it is and needs support not competition.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jeffrey Gale View Post
    Randy

I really appreciate CJ's goodwill, and I do realise that the Listening Room doesn't actually store any music ... we all have to put that on external web resources anyway, and are thereby free to promote it to potentially anyone on the web.

Using the Listening Room doesn't restrict anyone in that respect and even I have a Sound Cloud account as well as various others like it for various reasons.

My point though is that if it's a group specifically for Garritan users to share and discuss their work from a user perspective, adn perhaps get helpful feedback regardless of where the music is hosted, isn't that discussion best done on the official Garritan forum in the official area created specifically for that activity, where it will get most exposure to its specific target audience - i.e. Garritan users as opposed to a potentially wider non-user audience?

I just don't see what advantages using a Sound Cloud Garritan group will give over the Listening Room, especially when the Listening Room seems little enough used as it is and needs support not competition.

Peter
    I see, Peter - I wasn't seeing Sound Cloud as competition for our own Listening Room. I was seeing it as something more public than our Forum pages which aren't generally discovered by the general public, with the added interest that the composers posting in that area of Sound Cloud are Garritan users.

The problem you're describing hadn't occurred to me--Thanks for explaining.

Randy

The Sound Cloud group is intended to expand the community, not to replace The Listening Room. It's essentially just a more general forum with the added capability of serving the music on-site. Composers who already post to The Listening Room know that they can get a great in-depth criticism of their music here, so they will return for that in depth criticism. Sound Cloud just has a larger, more general audience and thus discussions aren't quite as in-depth as conversations on this forum become. So for just showcasing music, the group can help well.

Plus, who's to say we can't plug The Listening Room on the Sound Cloud group?
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Go Back to forum