• Register
  • Help

Topic: 32 vs. 64 bit with sound card

Share/Bookmark

Question 32 vs. 64 bit with sound card

I recently purchased an E-Mu 1212M PCIe sound card. Overall I'm very pleased with its performance, but I am running into an issue. I wanted to see if anyone out there using this card can help me out.

When I run ARIA either as a stand-alone in 32-bit mode or as a VST plug-in with the 32-bit version of Sonar 8.5, everything works fine. However, when I try the 64-bit version of the ARIA player stand-alone I get no sound. Likewise when I run the 64-bit version of Sonar. E-Mu's customer support claims that their drivers are 64-bit. However, I'm wondering if one or more of their drivers may be 64-bit compatible, but not native to the 64-bit environment. So two questions:

1. Am I correct that there's a driver which is not actually 64-bit native?

2. If I'm not, is there a configuration issue I need to look at? (My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium, in case this may be relevant to my inquiry.)

For now, this is only a minor problem because I have more than enough RAM on my computer to work in 32-bit mode. However, it will become a major one when I have to add more RAM as needs require. I don't want to dog on E-Mu's customer support, but past experience with other companies has caused me to develop the rather cynical expectation that I may not get a satisfactory answer from the company making the product. That's why I want to post here and see what sort of response I get.

Thanks!

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Re: 32 vs. 64 bit with sound card

Did you download the 64 bit drivers? These are different than the 32 bit ones. I've been running the 64 bit drivers for few years without any problems with Sonar 64 bit and ARIA 64 bit.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    Did you download the 64 bit drivers? These are different than the 32 bit ones. I've been running the 64 bit drivers for few years without any problems with Sonar 64 bit and ARIA 64 bit.

Jim
    That's the problem -- whenever I buy new hardware, the first thing I do is go to the manufacturer's website to check for driver updates. 9 times out of 10 there will be a driver update package to download. This happens to be the one other time, where E-Mu's website has no driver downloads for the 1212M, and apparently all their latest stuff is on the install DVD that came with the card.

Maybe I missed something during the install, so I'll try running it again and see what happens. If I did and everything works fine afterward, then color me . I'll post back here if A. I'm still having problems and B. if I'm getting no satisfaction from E-Mu's customer support. In the meantime, everything is working so well in 32-bit mode that I'm treating this as a very low-priority problem.

Edit --

I just checked the mainpage on E-Mu's website. There's a link to a page with downloads for beta versions of various and sundry Windows 7 drivers, including the 1212M. I'm not about to take my chances with a beta version of anything, so I guess I'll just have to wait for a release version. In the meantime, this confirms my original thought that the current 1212M drivers are 64-bit compatible, but native in the 32-bit environment at least for Win 7. Jim, if you're using the 1212M with Sonar x64, you must be using bitbridge. Unfortuantely I'm SOL on that one since I have Studio, and bitbridge comes only with Producer. Good thing I can fly in 32-bit mode for now!

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

I've been using the Vista 64 bit driver which is part of the Audio System Driver 2.1. EMU is really really slow at updating drivers. The Vista driver has been working fine in Windows 7 and I've only had one crash since I started using it over a year ago.

Jim

I've been using the Vista 64 bit driver which is part of the Audio System Driver 2.1. EMU is really really slow at updating drivers. The Vista driver has been working fine in Windows 7 and I've only had one crash since I started using it over a year ago.

Jim
    That's the same version I have, so it looks like I'm good there. By the way, the E-Mu website says something which basically implies that because the Vista drivers work well in Win 7, they're not in a particular hurry to move their Win 7 drivers out of beta. I'm okay with this because I run some other programs that are the same way, and I've had zero problems. So it's simply a matter of figuring out how I can get the 64-bit version of Sonar to work with the drivers I already have.

Before I bug you with any more questions, is your setup using bitbridge for Sonar to work with the 32-bit ARIA VST plug-in, or are you using the 64-bit plug-in?

Steve

Jim
    Well, I just did what I should've done to begin with -- going to the Sonar support website. There were a couple of pages with detailed information on how to set up PatchMix and Sonar which turned out to be highly useful. And the result is SUCCESS! I actually enjoy problems for two reasons. First, they're a great way for acquiring new knowledge. Second, when you solve them it's great to get things working they way they should. I've been learning a lot about input and output routing, and it's quite logical once you get the hang of it. It's just a bit tricky figuring out how to get to point A sometimes, but once you do it's remarkable how fast things can fall into place.

Thanks, Jim!

Steve

Glad you found the Patchmix info. I forgot about setting that up as I did it quite awhile ago. The Sonar forum was where I learned about it too.

Jim

Go Back to forum