• Register
  • Help

Topic: Donnie, question about new drum project.

Share/Bookmark

Donnie, question about new drum project.

Donnie,

In regards to your new drum set library.

Mono samples would be appreciated. How do most people handle multitrack recording using all these stereo samples.

I don\'t get it. I come from a world where the drums each are on one track, except for a pair of overheads which are a stereo representation.

So now I just use the right or left, but both samples still play. What a waste of resources on my poor computer.

What are your feelings on this.

mars

Re: Donnie, question about new drum project.

I have to admit I\'m a little confused about using stereo samples for drum set also. The goal is to achieve the most realistic sound possible. Studio drums are all mic\'ed mono. Plus as you said, it kills you when it comes to polyphony!

The only thing that I can think of that might be stereo are the \"accesories\" like wind chimes....

Donnie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by donnie:
    I have to admit I\'m a little confused about using stereo samples for drum set also. The goal is to achieve the most realistic sound possible. Studio drums are all mic\'ed mono.

Hurray! It thought I was the only person on Earth who thinks that recording drums in stereo is silly. Of course a stereo perspective of the kit can be achieved through panning and reverberation etc. (BTW, I love the idea of stereo wind chimes. But which way? Right to left or left to right? Ah, decisions, decisions...)

Ian

Great Donnie,

Straight away, get to work. I am waiting to spend my money.

cheers,
    mars

Mars, Ian, and anyone else,

Sean is on here quite a bit also. If you have any heavy questions for him I\'m sure he would love to answer them. He is the drum set man!

Donnie

Go Back to forum