• Register
  • Help

Topic: Out of Memory error, even with 16 GB?

Share/Bookmark

Out of Memory error, even with 16 GB?

I bought 3 days ago a new Mac, 4 core processor with 16 GB ram.

Today I was changing my orchestral piece that has 80 tracks. Before I had 6 Aria instances, every instance had about 10 instruments loaded. No memory problem. However, while trying to make a different instance for every trtack with only 1 instrument loaded, getting a total of 80 instances, I ran out of memory. Is this normal on a 16 GB mac?

Maybe there is another problem that I am not aware of?

André
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

Re: Out of Memory error, even with 16 GB?

Make sure you're running Logic in 64 bit mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner View Post
    Make sure you're running Logic in 64 bit mode.
    WHere do I change this?

Quit Logic. In the application folder, control click on the Logic app., choose "get info". Uncheck "open in 32 bit". Reboot Logic.

I thought that couldn't happen, but perhaps 80 is too much. To run Logic in 64 bit mode, go to applications, click once on the icon, and choose "Get Info" from the File menu. The Info window will appear, and under "General" you'll find a check box for 32 bit mode. That should be off. However, it will only work if Aria is 64 bit compatible, which I think it is.

Otherwise it should be doable to distribute 80 instruments over less instances, e.g. 16 (1 for flutes + piccolo, 1 for oboes + english horn, 1 for clarinets, 1 for bassoons, etc.) without losing control or mixing capabilities (if you keep instruments grouped according to their mixing requirements).

That said, I'm slightly surprised that you ran out of memory, even with 80 instances, since ARIA shares memory, and there is only some 2Gb of samples. Perhaps it's a bug?
    Last edited by FLWrd; 03-11-2011 at 02:38 PM. Reason: phrasing
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    I thought that couldn't happen, but perhaps 80 is too much. To run Logic in 64 bit mode, go to applications, click once on the icon, and choose "Get Info" from the File menu. The Info window will appear, and under "General" you'll find a check box for 32 bit mode. That should be off. However, it will only work if Aria is 64 bit compatible, which I think it is.

Otherwise it should be doable to distribute 80 instruments over less instances, e.g. 16 (1 for flutes + piccolo, 1 for oboes + english horn, 1 for clarinets, 1 for bassoons, etc.) without losing control or mixing capabilities (if you keep instruments grouped according to their mixing requirements).

That said, I'm slightly surprised that you ran out of memory, even with 80 instances, since ARIA shares memory, and there is only some 2Gb of samples. Perhaps it's a bug?
    ARIA runs natively in both the 32-bit and 64-bit environments. You'll just need to be sure and use the 64-bit ARIA VST plug-in with your DAW.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post

I unchecked the 32 bits, now Logic runs like a train with 80 Aria instances while browsing the Space Designer Library! Thanks!

ANdré

80 Instances? That is something. It would be more efficient using 5 instances and loading all 16 no doubt.
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Go Back to forum