• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dmitri Kabalevsky - Piano Concerto # 2 - G Minor - 3rd Movement

Share/Bookmark

Dmitri Kabalevsky - Piano Concerto # 2 - G Minor - 3rd Movement

Hi -
    Here is the exciting and dynamic final movement to Dmitri Kabalevsky's (1904-1987) Piano Concerto #2 in G Minor - 3rd Movement. The piece is generally considered as his masterpiece. I labored for some time with the balance between the orchestra and piano as the piano can be easily "buried" in the mix. I attribute this to the slightly fuzzy and diffuse character of sound and I countered it by equalizing a bit to brighten it up. This is an energetic piece and is said to require a pianist with "formidable technique", and I believe it!
    You Tube is easily accessible, but the Box.net mp3 has the better sound.

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Here is the video using paintings by Kadinsky;

and here, the mp3; Dmitri Kabalevsky - Piano Concerto 2 - G minor - 3rd Mvmt

Re: Dmitri Kabalevsky - Piano Concerto # 2 - G Minor - 3rd Movement

I swear I'll come back to this. This is my all time favorite Kabalevsky work (along with his preludes for piano, ok...). I just don't have even headphones over here to have a listen, but promise to revisit!

THANKS! ^_^

Hi SD,

Firstly, thanks for posting this. I've now both listened to the mp3 and watched the vid (which, btw, seems a most appropriate accompaniment to the piece).

Secondly (and slightly OT), my apologies for letting a couple of days slip by before posting but your thread started me on a convoluted (and not entirely effortless) voyage of discovery! I recalled that, during the late sixties, I bought a Supraphon recording of the Prokofiev 3rd. piano concerto and that the "filler" on the album was a Kabalevsky concerto - but I couldn't remember which one ! When I moved 5 years ago, my vinyl collection was duly bundled up and put into shelves, some in the media units under the tv (generally, the most recent ones) and some still bound in string in a bookcase. After much grunting and groaning, I managed to get the bundles out of the bookcase and cut the string. Needless to say, the album in question wasn't there, so I scratched my head and put the records back in the bookcase. It was actually in plain view, of course, under the tv and the Kabalevsky turned out to be the third concerto. So your thread not only provided me with a listening treat but also liberated a whole load of vinyl titles that I'd forgotten I had!

Thirdly, to the comments. This is a great interpretation and rendering and I think you've really captured that vibrant Kabalevsky atmosphere. I also think your additional efforts with the EQ were well worthwhile - the generally "feel" of the recording here is exactly how I remember from that Czech recording of the third concerto. There are some, of course, who would argue that such compositions were somehow "infected" by the "enforced gaiety" of the Stalinist regime - but that still doesn't dilute the magic of these concertos or the skill required to play them. Congratulations on a job well done!

One further point which intrigues me. Since Prokofiev left Russia for the US in 1920, when Kabalevsky was 16, I can't really think of an overt connection between him and Kabalevsky yet they were coupled on the Czech recording from the '60s. Obviously on that recording, there is a connection in the number 3 and the fact that they were both Russian - but on watching your YouTube video, I noticed that the "NextUp" trailer was for the Prokofiev Fifth Symphony! Curious coincidence?!

All the best,

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas View Post
    I swear I'll come back to this. This is my all time favorite Kabalevsky work (along with his preludes for piano, ok...). I just don't have even headphones over here to have a listen, but promise to revisit!

THANKS! ^_^
    Hi Nikolas;
    OK - good, I look forward to your take on it. It certainly has become a favorite of mine, this guy must really have had some chops to play that stuff, sorta Latin-jazzy sounding, but wicked-fast and bouncy.

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by kastra View Post
    Hi SD,

Firstly, thanks for posting this. I've now both listened to the mp3 and watched the vid (which, btw, seems a most appropriate accompaniment to the piece).

Secondly (and slightly OT), my apologies for letting a couple of days slip by before posting but your thread started me on a convoluted (and not entirely effortless) voyage of discovery! I recalled that, during the late sixties, I bought a Supraphon recording of the Prokofiev 3rd. piano concerto and that the "filler" on the album was a Kabalevsky concerto - but I couldn't remember which one ! When I moved 5 years ago, my vinyl collection was duly bundled up and put into shelves, some in the media units under the tv (generally, the most recent ones) and some still bound in string in a bookcase. After much grunting and groaning, I managed to get the bundles out of the bookcase and cut the string. Needless to say, the album in question wasn't there, so I scratched my head and put the records back in the bookcase. It was actually in plain view, of course, under the tv and the Kabalevsky turned out to be the third concerto. So your thread not only provided me with a listening treat but also liberated a whole load of vinyl titles that I'd forgotten I had!

Thirdly, to the comments. This is a great interpretation and rendering and I think you've really captured that vibrant Kabalevsky atmosphere. I also think your additional efforts with the EQ were well worthwhile - the generally "feel" of the recording here is exactly how I remember from that Czech recording of the third concerto. There are some, of course, who would argue that such compositions were somehow "infected" by the "enforced gaiety" of the Stalinist regime - but that still doesn't dilute the magic of these concertos or the skill required to play them. Congratulations on a job well done!

One further point which intrigues me. Since Prokofiev left Russia for the US in 1920, when Kabalevsky was 16, I can't really think of an overt connection between him and Kabalevsky yet they were coupled on the Czech recording from the '60s. Obviously on that recording, there is a connection in the number 3 and the fact that they were both Russian - but on watching your YouTube video, I noticed that the "NextUp" trailer was for the Prokofiev Fifth Symphony! Curious coincidence?!

All the best,

Keith
    He Keith;
    Thanks for listening and commenting! I appreciate your background story, as I was an early enthusiastic record collector (Classical) by the time I was 14. For this interpretation, I worked with a midi file posted by Gary Goldberg. It was above average in a number of important ways and I am grateful for the work he did. However, the software that converted to midi from the manuscript, over compensated whenever the piano wasn't completely "wide-open" volume-wise; then the resultant piano note velocities for about 3/4 of the entire piece were just whisper quiet, and no amount of raising the volume slider in CB could make it rise above the orchestra. And if it did, without quick handling of the sliders, your speakers could explode when the notes suddenly became louder. There was only one fix, and that was to go through the entire piano part and tweak the velocities up. There are really a lot of piano notes in this piece and to make it 3x worse, I had to go over it 3 TIMES!!! And I could have gone over it a 4th time!
    Even still, this is a pretty good example of GPO4 and GAS, working together!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Good work sd! It's an excellent work, even when compared to Prokofiev, and Ravel (it reminds me of his piano concerto in G as well). Good rendering. Thanks very much for sharing this, because I'd never heard of this composer. Your musical taste is exquisite!
    Theo

hmm, I didn't know this concerto. I am more familiar with the "youth" 3rd concerto.
    but this is definitely worth looking into!
    I think I've found me some music to practice over the summer!

great rendering.
    how are the other movements?

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    Good work sd! It's an excellent work, even when compared to Prokofiev, and Ravel (it reminds me of his piano concerto in G as well). Good rendering. Thanks very much for sharing this, because I'd never heard of this composer. Your musical taste is exquisite!
    Thank you so much, Theo! It is as spirited and rambunctious a work as can be imagined. After listening to other examples of his music, I would say the same for him as I have thought for Kapralova, that is, even as Eastern European, with both steeped in the heavy and disciplined culture of intellectual music of the time, I find traces in each, of a longing for Broadway, and I really mean that! They both make symbolic references to Gershwin and the context of these references tells me, this must be true. Both had heard Jazz, and felt free enough to incorporate elements, but Kabalevsky the most, I think.

It is one thing for people to think they have good taste, it is another when someone else agrees with them, thank you very much!!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    hmm, I didn't know this concerto. I am more familiar with the "youth" 3rd concerto.
    but this is definitely worth looking into!
    I think I've found me some music to practice over the summer!

great rendering.
    how are the other movements?
    Hello Michel, and thank you very much!!! I would be happy to upload the midi file so that you could convert to manuscript.
    Till I worked on this, I was not particularly familiar with Kabalevsky. I have listened to the 2nd movement of this concerto and can say it is utterly different in substance and style. It is quite Romantic and melodramatic. This guy should have been in Hollywood with Hitchcock!
    The second movement is so different from the third, I am having a hard time connecting the dots. That is only after one listen, but, first impressions.............
    I have also listened to the more numerous renditions available of the third movement. I found the piano often sounds buried by the orchestra. Why would he write all that intricate work, then hide it behind everything else?? Perhaps it was meant to be that way? But I like piano concertos where, at the end, the piano triumphs, having gained that victory through valorous conduct and steadfast purpose.

Thank you for listening and commenting!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Go Back to forum