• Register
  • Help

Topic: Summer rain

Share/Bookmark

Summer rain

Revisiting the double winds ensemble of 2 flutes, 2 clarinets, 2 oboes, 2 bassoon
    & 2 horns.
    This reflects Summer rains which come suddenley & then disappear...

Gary

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...=10376911&q=hi

Re: Summer rain

I liked the music, which had momentary Bach-ian and then mid-romantic moments mixed into the over-all modernistic texture and harmony.

I didn't feel the "rain" aspect of it, but that's always the difficulty when we write programmatic intent into our music. Not everyone will get it.

Thanks for listening, Michel.
    I would say that this is only an impression: the flowing of feeling as the music switches however slightly. Even the explanation is ???

Gary

ps
    After listening again, I recall my intention at the beginning was to imitate the
    French Opera Overture style of the Baroque.

hehehe, I don't think that my not getting the "rain" feeling from it detracts from it being a lovely piece of music. I think it functions just as well as "pure" music. I think the audience finding it appealing in whatever form they interpret it is just as important as the audience sharing your understanding of any programmatic intent. who knows, maybe I'm REALLY in the minority in not getting it? that is ever the possibility. maybe I'm still too much in a "snow mood" for it?

My first thought: it's spring-ish, and the trills represent the sudden and pouring rain. It has stately elements, but also moments of flurry, which I could imagine being trees losing leafs due to wind and rain, people running for shelter.

The modernistic part about which Michel speaks is most clear for me in the basses. They provide an interesting texture, quite contrastive. Overall it's an interesting and enjoyable piece, with good coloring, and for me it was a serendipitous experience: I heard it just after coming in from a sudden spring shower...

Good work, Gary.
    Theo

Thanks for listening, Theo.
    I sometimes just start writing with a feeling or ideal. The notes lead to someplace in part & then combined to complete or even change the feeling.
    I still don't map out what I'm going to do, but writing more & more seems to place statements in 4 or 8 bar phrases.
    When I finish, I sit back to listen for an appropriate title which may compel people to listen.

Gary

Go Back to forum