• Register
  • Help

Topic: World Instruments

Share/Bookmark

World Instruments

I'm having trouble with my new World Instruments library. The Highland bagpipes seem to be to low, the hang drum doesn't have controls, and the fiddle's auto legato doesn't seem to work.

Did I miss something?

Re: World Instruments

Quote Originally Posted by symphonyofone View Post
    I'm having trouble with my new World Instruments library. The Highland bagpipes seem to be to low, the hang drum doesn't have controls, and the fiddle's auto legato doesn't seem to work.

Did I miss something?
    Hi, Symphonyofone

I can give you at least some answers:

--Highland Bagpipes--I did the pipes demo for the World Library which you may have heard at the Garritan site. I used all of the pipes in the Library, but this one patch, the Highland is strange. I used it underneath some other drones, but it's the least effective of all the pipes you'll find there. I'm not quite sure why that instrument sounds the way it does, but a very effective pipe band can be done without it, or with it low in the mix. I recommend you use any of the other instruments in that group.

The Hang Drum doesn't have any controls, and that's probably an over sight. There's nothing more that could be done with that instrument really, but it would be helpful to have the EQ section at least. I recommend you control the sound of that instrument with controls in your recording software.

The Fiddle - It's possible you're misunderstanding what Auto Legato does. When it's engaged, instruments become monophonic - they can only play one note at a time. This automated feature is a quick and easy way to get legato lines, offered as an alternate to the traditional way legato is achieved in Garritan instruments. That method is to have all notes overlap slightly and be bracketed between a sustain CC64 On event, and a CC64 Off event. The On data needs to come in after the first note of a legato passage. That truncates the beginning attack sound of the rest of the notes. When the CC64 Off event is sent, that returns things to normal, so that event is placed right at the end of the passage.

But the AL feature can work well most of the time. Just understand that it makes instruments monophonic.

I noticed on the other World thread that you also mentioned having trouble with the lower notes of the fiddle's Tremolo notes. This may also be that you don't understand how the Trem keyswitch works. After engaging the Trem, you don't just hit one note. This mode is meant for playing rapidly on one note - it creates a Trem effect.

I think what you may be hearing, the "pop" you describe, is the sound that happens when you release the key - because in effect, this is playing the same note twice. When you use the Trem keyswitch, you need to return to the normal keyswitch immediately afterwards for normal playing.

Hope that helps.

Randy

I think what you may be hearing, the "pop" you describe, is the sound that happens when you release the key - because in effect, this is playing the same note twice. When you use the Trem keyswitch, you need to return to the normal keyswitch immediately afterwards for normal playing.
    Then why do the other notes nearby not "pop"?

The Fiddle - It's possible you're misunderstanding what Auto Legato does. When it's engaged, instruments become monophonic - they can only play one note at a time. This automated feature is a quick and easy way to get legato lines, offered as an alternate to the traditional way legato is achieved in Garritan instruments. That method is to have all notes overlap slightly and be bracketed between a sustain CC64 On event, and a CC64 Off event. The On data needs to come in after the first note of a legato passage. That truncates the beginning attack sound of the rest of the notes. When the CC64 Off event is sent, that returns things to normal, so that event is placed right at the end of the passage.
    I'll try the midi data and see if that works. I'm wondering if the auto-legato button is broken. I can definitely play polyphonically even with it on.

Thanks

Hi Symphonyofone,

I've responded to your questions on the World Instrument Fix Request thread here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...l=1#post667371

Thank you for posting these issues to that thread. If you have any more specific questions or comments on these issues follow up on that thread this way we can keep all of the reported issues for the World library organized.

Best Regards,
    Chad

Hi, Symphonyofone - You've gotten answers all over the place! - I'm glad you heard from Chad - he's the main programmer for World.

Then why do the other notes nearby not "pop"?

I'll try the midi data and see if that works. I'm wondering if the auto-legato button is broken. I can definitely play polyphonically even with it on.

Thanks
    I'm surprised that on the other thread Chad confirms hearing pops--I checked again before writing this. I'm not hearing any pops, no matter how long I hold those Trem notes. Usually a pop is the splice point for a loop. --I remember there were some loop points that needed fixing in earlier versions of the fiddle. hMMm, well, I'll be interested to hear what the improved version sounds like.

So apparently you understand how to use the Trem keyswitch - rapid triggering of a note.

Thanks for explaining that you do understand that auto legato is supposed to make the instrument monophonic. Since my fiddle responds as it should, going into mono mode - I really am suspecting you somehow have an older version of World. There was an error early on where AL wasn't working on the fiddle, but that was fixed.--- I really think you need to upgrade your Library.

Randy

I have WORLD 1.0. I don't see any updates... Is there a newer version available?

I have WORLD 1.0. I don't see any updates... Is there a newer version available?
    Hello again, SYmphonyfone

It's a bit confusing to me to keep track of the current public updates for any of the Garritan Libraries, because I'm on the Beta testing team, and that means I help work with the instruments before they're released to the public.

The fiddle has been fixed, but I've had it confirmed this morning that this update fix is still yet to be released publicly. It should be out pretty soon.

But that's why the Auto Legato's working for my fiddle. - Yours will soon be corrected too with the up-coming update.

Randy

Go Back to forum