• Register
  • Help

Topic: CPU Requirements for Ivory 2 or similar

Share/Bookmark

CPU Requirements for Ivory 2 or similar

Hi

Can anyone help please?

I'm looking to buy a new computer for general home use but I'd like to be able to run Ivory 2 or a similar programme with minimal latency and good sound quality. Unfortunately I'm quite clueless about computers so am a bit lost when it comes to specs. The computer I'm currently looking at buying has the following specs:

ProcessorIntel® Core™ i5-650 Processor
    - 3.2 GHz
    - 4 MB L3 cacheOperating SystemWindows® 7 Home Premium 64-bitRAM6 GB DDR3

Hard drive 1 TB SATA
    Audio interface Native Instruments Session, or creative soundblaster x-fi soundcard with asio drivers.

Can anyone tell me how well Ivory 2 or a similar programme would work on this system with regards to latency and sound quality.

Thanks

Re: CPU Requirements for Ivory 2 or similar

Your CPU is more than adequate for the task... but make sure you have a 7200 RPM drive... and it is best to run Ivory samples off of an external drive (or 2nd internal drive if you are using a desktop). It is not recommended to install the samples on your system drive.

HTH

I run Ivory 1.5 on a Core Duo laptop, 1.73 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB 7200 RPM drive, Windows XP. It runs fine. But I want to upgrade to Ivory 2 ... for the half-pedaling, among other things.

Will Ivory 2 tax this machine?

I don't mind buying a new, bigger drive. That's cheap.

But I wonder if I need to replace the laptop entire with a new, bigger better one?

Quote Originally Posted by MacMacMac View Post
    I run Ivory 1.5 on a Core Duo laptop, 1.73 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB 7200 RPM drive, Windows XP. It runs fine. But I want to upgrade to Ivory 2 ... for the half-pedaling, among other things.

Will Ivory 2 tax this machine?

I don't mind buying a new, bigger drive. That's cheap.

But I wonder if I need to replace the laptop entire with a new, bigger better one?
    From a processor standpoint, I would think you would be pushing it unless you turned off some of the 'goodies', which is no fun. You're drive is going to be a little small, too, but you can just add a second drive to hold the sample data.

With a machine like, I would probably get Ivory 2, which is a nice step up from 1.5 in terms of sound and features, and a second drive for the samples. You can always upgrade your computer afterwards if needed, and you would already have your samples installed on the second drive.

I've had the same question but in a more general sense. I would like to buy the most efficient cpu usage macpro and don't really know which model wouldn't lag if I loaded up a lot of instruments and plugins. the 2009 Nehalem's, the fastest processor, number of cores, etc
    All help much appreciated.

Go Back to forum