• Register
  • Help

Topic: Update on my "retirement"

Share/Bookmark

Update on my "retirement"

This is the first year in 54 years that I have not gone to school in the fall! After 37 years of elementary music teaching, I am adjusting to my new normal. At first it was difficult because I missed my students and staff members. I drop in now and then and my wife subs there frequently (it is right down the street), so I get to see my friends.

I am now working on new projects - a new musical for children for my church based on the story - The Three Trees and a musical for a local theater about an old ice cream shop in Seymour - Kovener's Corner - life and love at Koverner's Corner.

I recently finished a new musical for elementary titled "Pets, the Musical" - it is cute city.
    I am also starting to sketch out ideas for a couple of one man shows for Indiana schools as we get closer to our state bicentennial year in 2016.

Currently I am doing composer/author visits to Indiana elementary schools. I normally do 6-7 presentations per day to groups of 100 or less kids. I share about my way of writing music, sing some of my songs and tie it all in with reading, literacy and creativity. I had three days in a row this week and I am worn out - a good worn out though. They are so much fun to do and I have been getting nothing but positive feedback. It also pays well!

And . . . I decided to get in the best shape of my life starting last June. I began walking 4 miles a day, plus some serious workouts using DVDs (Bob and Jillian from Biggest Loser). In December I began running and I have now done 2 5k races and a 5 miler. This May I will run the Indy Mini-marathon (1/2 marathon) - 35,000 people! Then next November - one month after I turn 60 - I will run my first full marathon at the Indy Monumental Marathon.

So . . . life is good - I am energized and feel blessed beyond belief.
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Re: Update on my "retirement"

Listening to your experience makes me feel Planet Earth is a better place to live in now.

Bravo.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Congrats on the retirement. It seems that you're making some really healthful and fun decisions for your "new life". Good luck with the marathons! And. . . keep up with the composing! Please share them when finished!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Wow that sounds great. I applaud your desire for fitness as well and taking action on it. I'm a pretty avid cyclist myself. I've always liked the idea of trying to be a runner, but when I start doing it I just don't like all the jarring and aches and pains that go along with it. At any rate you're in a great part of the state for cycling and running in my opinion with all the hills. So good luck with all that.

And most certainly good luck with your musical endeavors. Sounds more like a change of career rather than a retirement to me
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Hopefully, the kids will realize there's more to music than just Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga and Kea. Insanity x infinity. I applaud you, indiana.

Congrats on your other accomplishments as well!

I really enjoyed your post - Really inspirational!

Charles! Thanks so much for giving us an update on your retirement - Sounds like you're doing everything except the "retirement" part--hehe.

You know I'm a fan of your "River City" musical which we all watched develop through your posts here at Gary's Forum. Now it's great to hear that you're writing the children's shows you were planning on as your retirement came up.

But all that running - whew - that part I couldn't do. Like Oscar Wilde has Lord Henry say in "Dorian Gray," --"...I'd give anything to get back my youth. Except get up early, eat sensibly and exercise..."

Keep on truckin', my friend!

Randy

Hi, Charles! Was wondering what you've been up to.... Think of you every time I see Kristin Burbrink Jones. See elsewhere in the forum for my son's Japan odyssey... See ya sometime??? Jim W.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Hey Jim - yes, I have been following the news about your son. Glad is safe home.
    Yes, we need to get together.

Hmm . . . I recall a lunch offer from someone . . . . : )

After Monday, I am free for a month, so we will work out something soon.
    Look forward to catching up with you!

Charles

And thanks all for the nice comments. Life is good.
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Quote Originally Posted by indianamusic View Post
    Hey Jim - yes, I have been following the news about your son. Glad is safe home.
    Yes, we need to get together.

Hmm . . . I recall a lunch offer from someone . . . . : )

After Monday, I am free for a month, so we will work out something soon.
    Look forward to catching up with you!

Charles

And thanks all for the nice comments. Life is good.
    --and Jim, pardon me for using the incorrect title for your musical, "River Town"---I was obviously thinking of another good musical, "The Music Man" when I said "River City."

More power to you, Charles!
    Randy

Go Back to forum