• Register
  • Help

Topic: War of the Past - (Soundtrack/Theme)

Smile War of the Past - (Soundtrack/Theme)

This is a soundtrack style theme I did using GPO4, and Finale 2010.

Kind of similar to the war movie soundtracks/theme's that are popular (such as Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers etc.)

Re: War of the Past - (Soundtrack/Theme)

Awesome work!
    Great rendering too... and welcome to the Forum.

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Nice work. Good sound for a movie. The theme is quite familiar (listen to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhoa7oWPPhk, starting at 0:39), but I can't blame you for that. It runs through a whole range of expressions and orchestrations, each appropriate for a different scene. I particularly liked the pizzicato at 2:30ish, which makes it slightly Baroque, and the following, very romantic variation. Well done.

A warm welcome to the forum, Graham!

Fine work on this; well thought out, with astute use of dynamic
    contrast and pacing; nicely structured and melodically graceful.

A good listen, much enjoyed, Graham.

All the best,

David Sosnowski

Hey, thanks all, glad you liked it.

Yep I can clearly hear the first part of the theme in that Star Trek piece same notes, key and chords. Oh well, its only about 8 notes of similarity :-)

I like that film too, might have picked up that melody subconciously.

Thanks for the comments, always working to improve my orchestration.

Very classy, warm piece. Great orchestration and rendering. Jerrys Star Trek theme came to my mind as well, but I do not think this is a problem.
    The only thing I would like to suggest is to add a few (solo)ensemble-strings to the mix. Just to size up the string section a little bit.

That's great. I like everything you did here. The sound is right on.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

This is a beautiful piece! Nicely composed and nicely rendered!

You mentioned that you used Finale 2010. It's nice to see and HEAR a well rendered composition from a notation program. There are other people, here, that are skilled with using a notation program for their projects and work-flow and create beautiful sounding final mixes. I'm not one of them! LOL! So, it really is good to know that using notation programs for creating great sounding music (as well as great LOOKING music) works!

Are there definite plans to use this piece as some kind of sound track for some kind of visual presentation? It would lend itself nicely for such function. However, it sounds lovely just by itself.

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Thanks for your comments all, much appreciated.

Bit of background on me and my music:

Generally I don't have plans for the music I compose. I tend to get an idea and run with it for a bit. I've wanted to not just compose, but produce good renders. It's actually what drives me to orchestrate. Without a decent output, I just get discouraged and try something else. Before my orchestra pieces I just did piano, as that is the instrument I play.

Garritan and finale have made it accessible to me. I can't compose any other way, believe me I've tried. Midi sequencers frustrate me no end, and before I got finale I tried Sibelius. That proved to be a torturous experience too. Both for input and the output.

10 years have gone by where I've wanted to produce good orchestra renders, only started with gpo and finale last year. My first effort is on this forum too, The Final March.

Go Back to forum