• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: REVELATION - Choir & Symphony Orchestra (Sosnowski)

Share/Bookmark

Arrow REVELATION - Choir & Symphony Orchestra (Sosnowski)

Revelation
    Choir & Symphony Orchestra
    By David Sosnowski

To listen:
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Edit 04/22/2012:

For those with an interest, the score for this piece has
    finally been posted on www.DavidSosnowski.com

Sorry for the long delay on this one...

Best,

David
    ------
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Re: REVELATION - Choir & Symphony Orchestra (Sosnowski)

David,

I hear your signature touch for sure and enjoyed the many faces of this work.

I noticed the sparse lines, angelic voices, and quick tempered passages highlighted by the percussion. An interesting musical journey you've created.

Areas seem to start calm and atmospheric and grow more hectic and dissonant. An interesting dichotomy.

I did notice some nice melodic horn and string lines that I believe brought relief to the works subject; this happens around the middle of the piece.

I respect the way you handled the choir... refreshing, different, not expected.

Enjoyed, David!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

YES!! Fantastic work David. It's recognizable Sosnowski for sure. I think your percussion writing is getting better and better.

I have to ask if this is a Finale rendering? I'm assuming it is but I hear some effects that I wonder how you achieve, like the timpani gliss toward the beginning and the clarinet gliss toward the end.

Very nice work. I'd like to see a score when you get a chance to post that.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

David, as always, fascinating music.
    It's maybe a tiny bit more "modern" than I prefer, but you always manage to keep your music "modern yet lyrical" which is a tremendous feat, and so much a signature of your musical identity. It was interesting to hear a literal repetition toward the end of a moment from earlier in the piece.

I'd obviously rather hear this with a choir actually singing the words.

quick opinion on the rendering: I find the snare and percussion at the opening a bit too "clear", not quite enough distance, makes it sound even more "artificial". which is a shame, the rest of the rendering is great (as always with your stuff!! damn you )

Extremely good, David!
    Exciting and clear action and interaction, between all parts, with the Brass and Percussion demonstrating best practices and novel tricks at every turn. The Winds and Strings are well done and in spite of it's "modern" sound, this music is emotional. Contrasts in all elements, the black and white, hot and cold, loud and soft, aggressive and then retreating; I think these things are used throughout and are characteristic of your musical style. And it is a long piece, with many moving parts and, long as it was, on both listens, it became like a story you didn't really want to end, yet still did end, and end very well! Only downside for me was the Choir.
    I use the GPO4 Choir for the tenor and bass parts only. I understand you wanted to stay within the "G" tool set, so my only suggestion would be, if you could try offsetting the starting points of the vocal parts, so they are staggered a little, that usually can add an bit more realism.
    But the Choir parts themselves are "understood" in this render and I like the concept. Your ability to work and create this music, puts you on the high ground, in my view. The intricacy of your thoughts and the evidence of your courage, are everywhere at once. This stands beside your very best work.
    Thank you for posting!!!!!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

What a courageous journey into the depth of one’s soul…!

A massive work, David, with so much going on… dangerous encounters…
    chaos… uncertainty… and their opposites…

There are less pastoral moments than in your previous works,
    but there were at least two places which reminded me of Mahler.

As usual, an immaculate work! Bravo!

~ Yudit ~

Can't let this get too far down without more exposure.......lol

David:

A great piece and one that you have to listen to more than once to fully
    comprehend or acknowledge what it is all about (in my opinion).

I should start by saying that the BRASS carries this piece, but not that much
    more than all of its other, included orchestral friends.

From the beginning, the brass is very prominent and then at 1m49s there is a
    nice, soft dynamic change. At 2m50s mysterious and provoking; then, at 3m25s,
    more contrasting dynamics.

At 5m42s, another beautiful change with LESS sectional instrument movement.
    Very "settled."

I would have to say, in my listening opinion, that this composition is a study of
    RISING and FALLING orchestral transformational passages CONNECTED by
    SILENCE. Throughout the entire piece, periods of SILENCE enhance the listener's
    interest of what is to follow. Interesting how silence can add so much to a
    composition.

A really great passage starts around the 13m mark where a long, progressive
    crescendo begins and includes much "fire" and "ferocity" on its 2 minute march to
    closure.

BRAVO, David

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

David,

This piece grows on me. I am listening a second time and hearing more of the detail. It is very organic with ideas growing out of previous seeds or germs. The voices become one with the instruments and and a nice color to the texture. I love how you music is so transparent (no matter how many instruments you use).

The brass flourishes and the judicious placement of bass drum and crash cymbals really punctuates this piece. This is yet another piece that many of us will be analyzing and marveling yet for a long time to come. Thank you so much for being part of this community and sharing your talents with us.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I always look forward to hearing David's music.

WOW David!!!!!
    That really was way cool!

Congrats on your great rendering!
    The dynamic range is great too.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    David,

I hear your signature touch for sure and enjoyed the many faces of this work.

I noticed the sparse lines, angelic voices, and quick tempered passages highlighted by the percussion. An interesting musical journey you've created.

Areas seem to start calm and atmospheric and grow more hectic and dissonant. An interesting dichotomy.

I did notice some nice melodic horn and string lines that I believe brought relief to the works subject; this happens around the middle of the piece.

I respect the way you handled the choir... refreshing, different, not expected.

Enjoyed, David!

M
    Thanks, Michael, pleased you made it by for a listen.

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast