• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO, GarageBand, SMF — MIDI channels vs. OM

Share/Bookmark

GPO, GarageBand, SMF — MIDI channels vs. OM

Greetings,
    When I create a song in GarageBand and use GPO instruments no problem, everything works great. However, if I import into GarageBand a SMF I downloaded from the web the tracks play fine using GarageBand sounds but are silent using GPO sounds unless I change the midi channel assignment in the Aria player to OM for each instance. Is this correct? I really don't understand what's going on.
    I'm using GPO 4 with GarageBand 6.01.
    Thanks!

Re: GPO, GarageBand, SMF — MIDI channels vs. OM

Quote Originally Posted by Macsetup View Post
    Greetings,
    When I create a song in GarageBand and use GPO instruments no problem, everything works great. However, if I import into GarageBand a SMF I downloaded from the web the tracks play fine using GarageBand sounds but are silent using GPO sounds unless I change the midi channel assignment in the Aria player to OM for each instance. Is this correct? I really don't understand what's going on.
    I'm using GPO 4 with GarageBand 6.01.
    Thanks!
    As far as I can tell you can't change the MIDI channel on an imported MIDI track inside of GarageBand. So if you download a MIDI file that utilizes multiple parts on MIDI channels 1-16. You'll have to either guess or use trial by error to find the MIDI channel that part is on. It's not necessary to set ARIA to OMNI (which receives all channels), if you found the specific MIDI channel that part is assigned to you can also use that instead.

Re: GPO, GarageBand, SMF — MIDI channels vs. OM

And don't forget to turn the mod wheel up. In many files, they are explicitly set to 0, which makes GPO mute.
    Theo

Go Back to forum