• Register
  • Help

Topic: Purrfect Drums

Share/Bookmark

Purrfect Drums

I\'ve just received Purrfect Drums by Studiocat. These are the best drum samples out there. It takes up a lot of hard drive space, but if you\'ve got plenty to spare, it\'s well worth it. Because the kits are gigabytes, not megabytes in size, you get things like cymbals decaying naturally (that\'s right, NO LOOPS). Because the library\'s so huge, they had to compress it all onto 8 CD\'s as self-extracting ZIP\'s.

The price is an absolute steal. 8 CD\'s with 12 GB\'s of data, and it\'s only $249. The only thing they haven\'t got in the library is brushes, but I was informed that they are going to do another project with drums played with blas-sticks and brushes.

If you\'re a bit tired like I am of drum modules, then this is definitely one to go for. You can find out more about it at Studiocat\'s website, www.studiocat.com .

Re: Purrfect Drums

Are there mono versions of the drums. I am tired of wasting resources playing two samples when I only use one into my mixing board.

What is the deal with stereo samples anyway? Resource stealing pain.

I am only going to buy sample libraries that give me a mono option. It is a big investment, and that is a huge criterion in the ease of use. My Gigacomputer has 16 channels of lightpipe out. I realize I could get multiple Gigacomputers, but...

I only have so many channels in my mixing board, and I can\'t afford two channels for snare, two for toms, etc... so I have to send both to the right or left, summing them, probably causing phase cancelations and a crappy sound. But hey, I have nifty stereo samples. Yippee

mars

I agree, more is not better. There is such a thing as \"pan control\" to place the sound where you want it. Quite frankly many stereo samples are just a plain waste, when you record real drums you record mono (some great sounding kits come from a three or four mic setup)(yes there is bleed through but it works), I can see stereo overhead mics for room color but from most the posts I see, everybody wants dry or minimum room sound samples so that we can incorporate them into our mixes in the way we see fit. I like good sounding long samples, but do we need stereo as the \"defacto\" packaging? What about those stereo samples that completely pan a piano or drum set from hard left to hard right, how \"real life\" useful is that to us? What do you others think about rating a sound library by how good it sounds but also by how efficiently it is to use / store? Doesn\'t efficient storage of all our sample libraries represent better disk access / better giga performance (160 separate instrument mono samples instead of 80 instrument stereo samples)? While this post is not a flame of this sample library or any other in particular, should we as users demand mono samples from the developers as the defacto standard? It is clear we as users are lucky enough that the sample developers actually read this forum, so please put in your two cents as to what you want as a user.

I agree, more is not better. There is such a thing as \"pan control\" to place the sound where you want it. Quite frankly many stereo samples are just a plain waste, when you record real drums you record mono (some great sounding kits come from a three or four mic setup)(yes there is bleed through but it works), I can see stereo overhead mics for room color but from most the posts I see, everybody wants dry or minimum room sound samples so that we can incorporate them into our mixes in the way we see fit. I like good sounding long samples, but do we need stereo as the \"defacto\" packaging? What about those stereo samples that completely pan a piano or drum set from hard left to hard right, how \"real life\" useful is that to us? What do you others think about rating a sound library by how good it sounds but also by how efficiently it is to use / store? Doesn\'t efficient storage of all our sample libraries represent better disk access / better giga performance (160 separate instrument mono samples instead of 80 instrument stereo samples)? While this post is not a flame of this sample library or any other in particular, should we as users demand mono samples from the developers as the defacto standard? It is clear we as users are lucky enough that the sample developers actually read this forum, so please put in your two cents as to what you want as a user.

Go Back to forum