• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help! So Confused!

Share/Bookmark

Help! So Confused!

Hey there

So I have Finale 2011 which comes with the Garritan Libraries and the Aria player. I'm assuming this isn't the actual full "GPO4" program right ? Well, I've been looking online everywhere on figuring out if it has the "con sordino" keyswitches for the Violin ensembles, or all the KS patches for that matter. I tried putting in the "con sordino" expression in with the "Custom line" tool on Finale but I'm not hearing any difference at all. Is it because it's not the full GPO4 version or does Garritan Instruments for Finale not have the expression at all ? Am I even doing it the right way with the "Custom line" tool on Finale ?

Thank you!

Re: Help! So Confused!

You're correct, Finale GPO is a cut down version of the full GPO. But keyswiches still work. The custom line tool is not the one to use. To make this work:

1. Make sure your staff name is correct. (If it's a violin, it should say Violin, etc....)
    2. Make sure the Violin KS is the patch that is loaded.
    3. Make sure Finale's HP (Human Playback) is on.
    4. Enter the "con sordino" or "mute" with the expression tool, not the custom line tool. In the playback definition for "mute" it should be set to none.
    5. Finale's HP sometimes needs a head start to work, so in a playback file it helps to put an empty beat of silence at the front of your piece. This isn't always necessary, but it's helpful in a lot of situations.

Wow, alright.

So I created the "con sordino" text in the expressions window, however, what should the edit be in the "playback" window ? There's also "effect" on with "set to value" on zero.

Btw, on another note, are the sounds from the full GPO any different than the ones that come with Finale ? Worth the buy ?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Monolta View Post
    Wow, alright.

So I created the "con sordino" text in the expressions window, however, what should the edit be in the "playback" window ? There's also "effect" on with "set to value" on zero.
    Playback should be set to Type: None.

I use Finale 2010b, so here's a link to the part of the online user's manual that deals with using keyswitches in Human Playback:

http://www.finalemusic.com/UserManua...eyswitches.htm

If you're using Finale 2011, I don't know if things would be that different, but just in case, you should consult the Finale online keyswitch tutorial for your version.

Btw, on another note, are the sounds from the full GPO any different than the ones that come with Finale ? Worth the buy ?

Thank you!
    Absolutely worth buying. You'll get more instruments, plus I believe the full GPO library has more KS patches than what comes bundled with Finale. If you'd like to see the GPO4 instrument list, click here. You can buy the full version as a download for $150 -- at the price, it's a lot of bang for your buck.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Hmm...I still can't hear any difference, everything looks set but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Hmm...I still can't hear any difference, everything looks set but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
    Did you read Finale's online keyswitches tutorial? It has detailed instructions on how to use the GPO KS patches with Human Playback. If you did read the tutorial and you followed the instructions, but you're still having problems getting "con sordino" to work, let me know.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Welcome to the forum, Monolta!

Just so you know, I have a similar set-up to yours and I'm also using Finale 2011. Well, I tried just what you have been trying to do last night and it didn't work for me either. Just on a whim, I tried changing from arco to pizz and back. Those worked fine. But, like you, I could not tell any difference in the sound when adding con sordino. It didn't matter which Violin KS I was using, either. I will have more time tomorrow to explore this and I will get back to you.

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Quote Originally Posted by serenitymusician View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Monolta!

Just so you know, I have a similar set-up to yours and I'm also using Finale 2011. Well, I tried just what you have been trying to do last night and it didn't work for me either. Just on a whim, I tried changing from arco to pizz and back. Those worked fine. But, like you, I could not tell any difference in the sound when adding con sordino. It didn't matter which Violin KS I was using, either. I will have more time tomorrow to explore this and I will get back to you.

Gary A.
    First, make sure that you are loading the Notation patches into ARIA, as these are programmed specifically to work with Finale's HP. (If the "pizz" text expression is working properly, then I assume you're already using the Notation patch library.)

Now, I just reviewed Finale's online keyswitching tutorial again, and I see the following :"Full GPO has many more keyswitched instruments, and some instruments (like the strings) have additional keyswitches not found in Garritan Instruments for Finale." I therefore have reason to suspect that the string KS patches which come bundled with Finale do not include "con sordino."

There's a way you can find out about this for sure. In the full version of GPO, the Violin KS note for muted is C#1 (for reference, that's a half step above the cello's lowest note). Try inserting a C#1 note in your Violin staff a beat or two before the "con sordino" passage starts. If it triggers the muted patch, then there's a bug in Finale's HP at least for that text expression. However, if you get no change, then you'll also get your answer -- the Finale GPO KS strings do not include "con sordino". By the way, the KS trigger in the muted strings is for short bow attack with sustain. The full version of GPO also includes a separate lush muted patch for all strings.

Hope this helps!

Steve

Hmm, so I need to get the full version of GPO 4 to use con sordino ? Hmm, that makes me wonder about other articulations that aren't with Finale. Well, that's disappointing to say the least.

Just an FYI. I have the full GPO4 and the con sordino failed to work for me. When I have more time tomorrow I will see what's up and why it's not working. It may be a thing in Finale 2011. Finale has already done some really funky things to me of late which I can't explain but I will later.

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Go Back to forum