Share/Bookmark

"Illusions" Cimbasso demo

Cimbasso demo (VSL download)

http://www.guybacos.com/audio/Illusions.mp3

Comments are well appreciated!

Guy

Re: "Illusions" Cimbasso demo

Hi Guy

Your link is invalid ... this seems to be the one you intended: http://www.guybacos.com/audio/Illusions.mp3

I've only ever seen Cimbasso parts written in opera scores, I think, and more often than not they get transcribed to the bass trombone or tuba ... but it seems that this 19th century version of the instrument does have a unique quality of its own, capable of great lyricism as well as operatic bombast and dazzling dexterity, and as ever, you've encapsulated its wide range of expression in a complete bite size gem of a piece ... and the rendering is faultless to my ears.

You really should publish these pieces in their entirety for posterity ... I'm sure they would make an entertaining complete concert by now, or a collectors CD series ... hey ... how about calling it "The Young Guy's Guide to the [VSL] Orchestra"?

Peter

Beautiful piece!

Um, what happened here? Several posts are are gone. Weird!

This one was by Steve Johnson:

Well, Guy you did it again! Great match between your choice of solo instrument and the musical material. I hadn't heard of the cimbasso before, but it has a great sound and wide range of expression. (Where are you finding these instruments? Makes me wonder what you'll come up with next! )

Anyway, you're doing great work -- keep it up!

Steve

And this by snorlax:

Guy...
    Very nice!! You might contemplate some development/extension of the piece for tuba or euphonium.
    Does the VSL library tell you who manufactured the cimbasso they sampled?
    The modern ones can be quite different from the Verdi-esque ones.
    Cimbasso was, BTW, what Verdi wanted instead of tuba.
    Cimbassi come today in four flavors, as do tubas: F, E flat, CC and BB flat.
    I'll post some pixx.
    Cimbassi are a quite popular double in LA among bass trombone and tuba players.

Jim "I've played a couple in my day" Williams

Guy ... the fourm's interface doesn't seem to be working well for you in this thread!

I go the email for your post but it doesn't seem to have saved here, as you've noted, so I'll quote it anyway for the record:

Quote Originally Posted by guyB View Post
    Thanks Peter and stargazer!

Peter, I much appreciated your informative post, and kind words. I hardly knew the cimbasso existed before writing this demo. A notable piece you could spot the instrument is in Die Walküre, Wagner probably couldn't get something he was looking for from any other instrument. It's quite a virtuosic instrument, which may stand out among some of his brass friends.

BTW, one minute after I had posted the piece on facebook, this professional cimbasso sent me a pm asking me if he could record it. Small world on FB....
    I can imagine the Cimbasso may well be in Die Walküre, but so far as [solo] Cimbasso composers go, Wagner may have been good ... but Bacos is better! ... I'd like to see Wagner squeeze a complete piece into 3 minutes!

Peter "I used to think cimbasso was a extra large beer" Gale

Thanks Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jeffrey Gale View Post
    Peter "I used to think cimbasso was a extra large beer" Gale
    I was more in the dark than that, I asked my doctor: How's my cimbasso?

I asked my doctor: How's my cimbasso?
    Well now we all know ... it's big and it's brassy and it makes one hell of a noise!

Um, what happened here? Several posts are are gone. Weird!
    Okay, so it wasn't just me then. Glad you were able to capture my post before it disappeared. By the way, Guy, if you take requests...

Your sample library has some rather obscure, yet wonderful instruments, and I'm curious if it happens to include the Heckelphone. If so, and you might be inclined to write a piece for a double-reed, perhaps you could try your hand at something that features the Heckelphone.

Cheers!

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Johnson View Post
    Okay, so it wasn't just me then. Glad you were able to capture my post before it disappeared. By the way, Guy, if you take requests...

Your sample library has some rather obscure, yet wonderful instruments, and I'm curious if it happens to include the Heckelphone. If so, and you might be inclined to write a piece for a double-reed, perhaps you could try your hand at something that features the Heckelphone.

Cheers!

Steve

Heckelphone:

"The Christmas Snowball Fight"

http://www.guybacos.com/audio/A%20Ch...ll%20Fight.mp3

And other more unusual instrument:

Euphonium:

"Euphonium Variation Walz"

http://www.guybacos.com/audio/Euphon...on%20Waltz.mp3

Go Back to forum