• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tieing velocity to volume for live playing

Share/Bookmark

Tieing velocity to volume for live playing

Hello,

So I have a musical pit gig coming up soon and am running some Garritan instruments through Logic Mainstage. I'd like to know if it's possible to make volume (or modulation) respond to velocity rather than just the mod wheel - through settings in ARIA Player, or in Mainstage, or perhaps through some plugin or other solution. When it goes into two hands material I can't really play and move the mod wheel simultaneously. (I've tried expression pedals, but they're very finicky and hard to control.) In an ideal world, I'd have separate control over sharpness of attack and loudness of sound, but for the moment I just need something that will work in a pinch.

Thanks in advance,
    Henry

Re: Tieing velocity to volume for live playing

Hi, Henry - Some years ago these MIDI FX were developed, including one that translates Velocity to CC1, or any MIDI CC you want:

TenCrazy's MFX

Go down the page and look for "MFX Velocity to CC."

CAVEAT - I haven't tried these in years, and am not at all sure if they'll work in current software. But I'm pretty sure the guy who developed these was a Garritan Forum member, and we used to discuss the use of these plugins once in awhile.

Give 'em a try!

EDIT: Your post made me curious to test these plugins again. In Sonar 8.5, they still work. I have no idea if they'll work in your Logic Mainstage program. As per the text instructions that come with TenCrazy's set of plugins, I double clicked all the .bat files to register the plugins on my computer. Then after a scan of my VST and plugin folders, Sonar saw these apps and they were available. Velocity to CC whatever-you-want functioned just fine in my test.

I should have remembered--These were developed by Markleford Friedman, a GPO Forum member. They used to be available at the main Garritan site as add-ons for GPO. Haven't seen Markleford around for some time now - You out there, buddy?

Randy

Randy, thanks a bunch! I'll see if these do the trick in Logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Buck View Post
    Randy, thanks a bunch! I'll see if these do the trick in Logic.
    Fingers crossed on that, Henry. I was happy to see that even though those apps are quite a few years old now, that they still work in Sonar. Hope you have the same luck in Logic. As Markleford's text says about the Velocity to CC filter - it's intended for live work, like you're doing.

Best of luck with it.

Randy

They won't work in Logic. I'm not familiar with Logic Mainstage, but if you can use transformers, it's not too difficult. Note that it is commendable to control the attack of the resulting note as well, as it influences the sound as well.
    Theo

Hi Henry,

Firstly, I should mention that I've never actually used Logic, but I have done some research on the Environment and if I may I'd like to suggest an idea that follows on from Theo's comment.

From what I've seen. you should be able to go into the Environment and split the 'cable' that carries the MIDI data to the Aria Player, such that you have two copies of the data feeding into the player. If you now insert a Transformer Object into one of the resultant cables, you can set the Channel field on the Transformer dialog to "thru", "fix" Note to Control, "fix" Pitch to 1 and set Velocity to "thru". You'll now have your original note data, together with simultaneous cc1 events tracking the velocity. In addition, of course, you can still use your mod wheel to add a bit more expression on long notes should you feel the need.

As I said, this is just a shot in the dark so apologies if I've just confused the issue further - but I the hope the suggestion is of some value.

In any event, the best of luck with your gig and - have a good one !

All the best,

Keith
    "A musicologist is a man who can read music but cannot hear it!" (Sir Thomas Beecham)

Quote Originally Posted by kastra View Post
    From what I've seen. you should be able to go into the Environment and split the 'cable' that carries the MIDI data to the Aria Player, such that you have two copies of the data feeding into the player. If you now insert a Transformer Object into one of the resultant cables, you can set the Channel field on the Transformer dialog to "thru", "fix" Note to Control, "fix" Pitch to 1 and set Velocity to "thru". You'll now have your original note data, together with simultaneous cc1 events tracking the velocity. In addition, of course, you can still use your mod wheel to add a bit more expression on long notes should you feel the need.
    Actually, you should use one transformer in the mode "Copy and apply (reverse order)". That will make sure the mod wheel data arrives before the note. If you need a Logic file with an example, I can send it.
    Theo

Unfortunately Mainstage doesn't have the environment capability that the Logic Pro program has, but that sounded like a great idea, thanks!

Couldn't you use Logic instead of Mainstage? I only know Mainstage from the little documentation apple has on their web-site, but if you don't need the knobs, you could just as well open a Logic file.
    Theo

Probably not the way my MIDI controller works. But hey, opening night is tomorrow. It's probably a little late in the game to change things up. Thank you for your help, though.

Go Back to forum