• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Finale of ballet "Amaterasu", full orchestra w/GPO

Share/Bookmark

Finale of ballet "Amaterasu", full orchestra w/GPO

message removed

Re: Finale of ballet "Amaterasu", full orchestra w/GPO

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    I thought I'd post a minor "nugget"... this is the finale of my upcoming ballet in a version that will NEVER see the light of day: for a huge symphony orchestra!

The real ballet is a chamber affair.

here it's full woodwinds by 2's, full brass section, perc, timpani, harp, and a large string section (lots of divisi going on).

This is the "Sunrise" final movement, entitled "Hinode". It's VERY very short... barely a minute and a half.

Let me know what you think of it in this extravagant form.

http://www.dosblanc.ca/music/various...s/6_Hinode.mp3

for anyone who wants to follow along with the (admittedly still messy) score:

http://www.dosblanc.ca/music/various...asu_Hinode.pdf

I've always loved Prokovievv's "Alla and Lolly" ballet, and particularly his march-like finale representing a sunrise. So I readily admit being HEAVILY inspired by that particular piece for this one. I'll readily accept any slaps on my hand for getting so close to outright plagiarism.
    Very good Michel! I am glad to hear you working with the larger ensemble! After completing my You Tube research on this last movement from the Scythian Suite, I do see some of the similarities, but certainly not note for note. And of course, there are worse fates for a composer, than to be likened to Prokofiev anyway!
    I strongly encourage you to keep up with your writing (and rendering) for the orchestra, and not necessarily a large one. It is just that it offers a broad pallet of possibilities, as well as powerful potentialities. With your musical imagination, it would be interesting I'm sure.

Thanks for posting!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

As usual Michel, I enjoy hearing your work. This is no exception of course but it is a bit different for you. I dare say it's the most traditional "sounding" piece I've heard of yours. That's not meant to be an insult because even though it strikes me that way there are still elements and Michelisms present.

I'm not familiar with the Prokofiev piece you cited and even though I tried to find excerpts I didn't hear anything that struck me as sounding like your piece. Granted I didn't have alot of time today and they were excerpts from the Scythian Suite so I could have very well missed the section you're talking about.

At any rate I'm curious to hear the chamber orchestra version. I have to admit I'm partial to large orchestras so I like the forces you've employed here. But then again I like the original instrumentation for Appalachian Spring too for instance. So I don't think I'll be biased by hearing this version first. If I were a betting man though I'd say you'll secretly work on two versions.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

ROFL Steve.
    don't worry, I'll let you know if there is a "secret" version for full-steam massive monstrous huge orchestra in the works.

Thanks for your comments.

Interesting that it doesn't quite sound "like me" to you!
    Maybe I'm mellowing with age and finding that I need to be exploring a bit more of my inner Romantic?

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    ROFL Steve.
    don't worry, I'll let you know if there is a "secret" version for full-steam massive monstrous huge orchestra in the works.

Thanks for your comments.

Interesting that it doesn't quite sound "like me" to you!
    Maybe I'm mellowing with age and finding that I need to be exploring a bit more of my inner Romantic?
    By all means yes. It's very good.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

I find it wonderful, from the impressionist opening chords, via the woodwinds (which sounded most like Prokoviev to me, but that was about it), down to the expressionist chords and the major ending. In the rendering, I only found the glocken a bit loud, or rather, the rest soft. A nugget of gold.
    Theo

thank-you Theo.
    yes, the glock IS a tad loud. I didn't spend much time with the rendering, just plopped everything into Finale.

As I've said probably with every composition that you share, I love your style/genre of composition.

What amazes me is that you achieve a reasonable realistic sound by using a notation program. So, not only are you one of my favorite composers, you've got "Finale Chops"!! Yea, the glock was a bit loud, but I'm confident that you know how to tweak that so that it fits more comfortable in your otherwise beautiful rendering.

This is a compliment to you: I learn just by listening to your music. Thank you for sharing.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Thank-you Ted.

I actually find that Finale does a very good job on the rendering.... as long as the score is heavily notated. As much info as possible is what makes it sound more "alive". Which is, of course, why I play around with a lot of "invisible" expressions, articulations, slurs/phrase markings, and tempo indications which I would normally not include in the printed score.

Michel, I don’t know Prokoviev’s ballet so I cannot compare,
    but what I hear is an impressive buildup!

I’m curious now to hear the rest of the ballet, especially in the chamber version.
    Is it going to be performed only by musicians or also by dancers?

Anyway, thanks for posting this nugget
    and I wish you success with the performance!

~ Yudit ~

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast