• Register
  • Help

Topic: Brass ensemble

Share/Bookmark

Brass ensemble

Here is a Brass ensemble pushing limits.

Gary
    It seems to take several tries to open-keep trying.

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...=10358777&q=hi

Re: Brass ensemble

Nice work, Gary!

Are there plans on having this played by "real-live" musicians? (As opposed to "fake-dead" ones. LOL!) Just curious.

Compositionally, it satisfied my modest ears. I enjoyed the contrasts in movements. I'm really not in a position to offer real in-sightful comments because I consider myself someone who's starting out (again) as a composer, learning, growing, etc. I enjoy the style of music and appreciate the thought involved in the writing of your composition.

From a purely "sonic" point of view. . . it was really low in volume. The meters on my mixing board hovered around -10 (whatever that is) during the more loud moments. So, maybe the music could be mixed louder???? Yes? No? Also, I respectfully suggest that when you have an instrument hold a note for an extended period of time, you possibly entertain the idea of modulating that sound in some way. Some of the long-held notes seemed to have remained the same in volume and timbre. Maybe subtle variation in volume (crescendo/decrescendo) and even vibrato might help make those long-held notes sound like they're moving (even though they're sustained in pitch).

Nice work. . . Thank you for sharing!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: Brass ensemble

Thanks for listening, Ted.
    For sustained notes, if the phrase is nearing completion I put in a decrescendo. When I want it to draw into the next entrance I don't. I possibly miss tat feature in earl editions of a piece.

Volume is not always easy to judge. Sometimes I find that a smaller room vs large room changes everything.

Gary

ps I always hope for a live performance, but none are planned...

Go Back to forum