• Register
  • Help

Topic: Swapping between library locations.

Share/Bookmark

Swapping between library locations.

My first post to the forum.

Would you be able to help a relative newcomer to GPO4 please?

I am using a reasonably powerful laptop (well it was a year or so ago) equipped with an E-MU 1616m cardbus to deal with the audio, and running Win XP sp3.

When 'on-the road' I use the GPO libraries located on the relatively slow local hard disk c:\ drive. When back at base I can connect via an eSATA interface a much faster 500GB caviar black drive it appears as F:\, if I recall correctly.

What I would like to be able to do is to use that 2nd hard drive as the library source when back at base, but I don't lug it around with me, so want to be able to switch back and forth depending whether I'm away or not.

Since there does not appear to be any inbuilt function in the ARIA player to change locations I'm wondering whether some alterations to Windows' registry would have the desired affect. Has anybody tried this, or can anyone with good knowledge of how these things work point me in the right direction please?

I'm thinking of two .txt files with the two configurations in them, one or other copied into the appropriate part of the registry, followed by a reboot.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.
    Best regards,
    C-clef.

Re: Swapping between library locations.

Quote Originally Posted by C-clef View Post
    My first post to the forum. Would you be able to help a relative newcomer to GPO4 please? I am using a reasonably powerful laptop (well it was ayear or so ago) equipped with an E-MU 1616m cardbus to deal with the audio, and running Win XP sp3. When 'on-the road' I use the GPO libraries located on the relatively slow local hard disk c:\ drive. When back at base I can connect via an eSATA interface a much faster 500GB caviar black drive it appears as F:\, if I recall correctly. What I would like to be able to do is to use that 2nd hard drive as the library source when back at base, but I don't lug it around with me, so want to be able to switch back and forth depending whether I'm away or not. Since there does not appear to be any inbuilt function in the ARIA player to change locations I'm wondering whether some alterations to Windows' registry would have the desired affect. Has anybody tried this, or can anyone with good knowledge of how these things work point me in the right direction please? I'm thinking of two .txt files with the two configurations in them, one or other copied into the appropriate part of the registry, followed by a reboot. Any ideas would be gratefully received. Best regards, C-clef.
    Yes, search for the current location of the samples in regedit (Edit>Find - make sure Values is checked). If you found the key, export that. Then change the location. Export again with a different name. This way you'll have two .reg files for the two locations, and can easily switch.

G’day,

An alternative would be to have two separate installations.

Herbert
    GPO, JABB, CMB, GWI, GOFRILLER, HALION PLAYER, ACCORDIONS by E Tarilonte
    Cubase 6, Notation Composer, VSTHost, GoldWave audio editor.

Interests:
    Good Food, Gemütlichkeit, Wein Weib und Gesang – History, Politics, Civil Law –
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

Quote Originally Posted by briff View Post
    Yes, search for the current location of the samples in regedit (Edit>Find - make sure Values is checked). If you found the key, export that. Then change the location. Export again with a different name. This way you'll have two .reg files for the two locations, and can easily switch.
    Thanks Briff,

The entries are all in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garritan" and there's a stack of them, one for each instrument sample set, so a bit of work to change them all ... but I'll give that a try though.

Do I need to export the whole registry and re-import the altered one, or can I just export that part of it and reload it? Do you know?

Many thanks,
    JohnG.

Quote Originally Posted by sonata5920 View Post
    G’day,

An alternative would be to have two separate installations.

Herbert
    Thanks Herbert,

Can I just re-install the libraries? And how would I switch between them? Wouldn't it just override the initial registry with the new values so the C drive library would disappear?

Best regards,
    JohnG.

Quote Originally Posted by C-clef View Post
    The entries are all in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garritan" and there's a stack of them, one for each instrument sample set, so a bit of work to change them all ... but I'll give that a try though.

Do I need to export the whole registry and re-import the altered one, or can I just export that part of it and reload it? Do you know?
    Yes, you should just export that branch to a .reg file. Then copy the reg file and use notepad to change the paths in one go.

Bert

Oh, I see you use only the laptop, not two computers. In that case Bert has given you the answer.

Herbert

Interests:
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

Thanks Briff and Herbert,

That part of the registry copied and altered using 'find/replace' in NotePad, easy peasy! I just copied the entire library to the other disk, so the structure is identical all except the '\Program Files'.

Now for the acid test! I'll let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed or if you're German, Herbert, thumbs pressed. I currently live in Meckenheim near Bonn.

Best regards,
    John.

G’day John,

You are right about the German connection. Bonn and surroundings is a good place to live. My son lives and has been living in Bonn for a long time.

Best wishes from Down Under,

Herbert

Interests:

Go Back to forum