• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stylus RMX and frequent crashing of Cubase 5

Share/Bookmark

Stylus RMX and frequent crashing of Cubase 5

Hello.

OK, I admit to being a late newcomer to RMX, but better late than never. It's such a powerful beast, when I can get it to be stable that is.

The problem seems to be sometimes when I try and load the Cinematic Sound Menu. I get a crash warning and this in the Cubase log:

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
    Fault address: 2A1B2197 01:000D1197 E:\Program Files\Steinberg\vstplugins\StylusRMX.dll

My spec is not what it should be I realise that, but I didn't think I was overloading it so easily. In this particular situation, I have Omnisphere running as the only other VSTi, but I've frozen it, and I have no WAV's at all. So it's a fairly basic mix at the moment. RMX is configured with 3 other tracks triggering Grooves, and the total RAM showing is 257mb before I try and load Cinematic on the 4th track. I've not had any crashes caused by other Sound Menus, so I'm at a loss really as to why it crashes with Cinematic even though it's obviously a large sample file at around 190mb. I can load it as a first track and it's fine. But it seems that anything over 350mb in total or so just crashes it. So is this just a simple (though surprising at 350mb) memory issue you think?

OK, my limited spec:

32bit XP Home
    Core 2 Duo 6400 2.13ghz
    4GB RAM installed, but no switch used.
    RMX: 1.9.4d
    Omnisphere: 1.3.2c, 1.0.2, 1.3.1
    Cubase: 5.5.2
    M-Audio 2496 soundcard

Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by nomy; 04-01-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: further info

Re: Stylus RMX and frequent crashing of Cubase 5

I suspect your under spec'd system is to blame.
    Before I upgraded to a quad I had the exact same problem on my XP 2g of ram machine.
    I loaded Omni and RMX, when I tried to load a large suite of sounds in RMX it crashed my system.
    Intel - Core i7 920 2.66GHz Quad Core 12Gig DDR3 1HD - 500GB for system 3HD - 1TB Seagate Sata II for audio and samples RME Multiface II Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Cubase 5 64 bit Omnisphere, Trilian, RMX, EWQLSO Gold with Close Mics, QL Choirs, Gypsy, SD1, SD2 Pro, QL Pianos Gold, QL RA, Fab Four, Ministry of Rock, Reaktor, Memphis Horns, Ethno World II, Garritan Strings

Hi nomy

there is another update for Cubase 5 called 5.5.3 just out, 350mb of ram is small to course any trouble for your system,

there are a few updates of cubase 5 going to 5.5.3 and each has a different behavior it may be worth trying some out to see the one that works well with your set up. and that would go for all updates sometimes you may need to roll back

also keep an eye on your performance meter in cubase

novaburst

hope it goes well

Gigabyte EP43UD3L. Core2Duo3gighz6MBcatch.ram8gighz DDR21066hz.seagate1500TBHDD Soundcard:M-AUDIO Fasttrack Pro USB. OS windows764bit.Host Cubase5update 5.1.1 32bit and 64bit on same system Wavelabstudio 6. Hypersonic with modules. Omnisphere 1.5.3d 32bit and 64bit on same system. VST sound collection. HALion Sonic VST Workstation upgrade 1.5.
    Hardware:dual monitors. controlFreek 16 channel. ART DIGITAL MPA ll preamplifier. Samson CVALVE. BOSS Noise Suppressor. BasePodLine6. BEHRINGER 8channal mixer.NAD AMP. JBL speakers.Instruments: yamahaP80. yamahaSY35. fender strat. washburn acustic guitar, main intrument: yamaha six stringTBR base guitar.

Thanks for the ideas guys. One thing I find odd is that I tried a different approach this time...I unloaded most of the grooves including the Cinematic sound menu. Then I loaded the Cinematic first. As expected, it was fine. Then I loaded everything else, and it was still fine! So far the RAM in RMX is showing 475. So it seems to be a problem loading it after other grooves are in place. Strange.

Thanks for the Cubase update heads up novaburst, I'll grab that and install.

But I fear that a system upgrade is getting essential now. But it's so daunting to change everything. I need 64bit as well, so a complete new system.

Oh, and just to add that the performance meter never seems to suggest a problem.

It's a while since I got my head around this, so I hope this isn't misleading.
    I seem to remember that in groove mode (as you mentioned) RMX loads the whole suite, so if cinematic is a large suite, it'll load a lot into memory.
    Create a favourites suite with just the grooves you want (including those on the other tracks perhaps?) and you may get the memory space you need.
    Or work in slice mode, which doesn't load the whole suite into memory.

I'm not on my music pc at the moment so I'm writing this from memory - as I say - hope I'm not misleading you.
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

You're absolutely right Neil, thanks. I read through the guide some more, and it did explain this very well. So yep. I presume it is a memory issue that can be resolved using slice mode as you say. But some more memory will be the ultimate, all purpose solution

Thankyou.

Here's something I can't figure out. When I use slice menu it will only load the element I highlight, sure. But if I highlight and audition another element in the same suite it will add the memory for that element and not release the memory for the previous. So unless I know exactly which elements I will be using before hand, the memory just accumulates until it's the same as in Groove menu. Huh? I don't get that one bit. If I part clear it does nothing but go back to the top of the suite menu. The only way I can get it to release the built up memory is to change suites, then go back and select the element I wanted in the first place. Surely that can only mean it's me who is missing something here.

But I fear that a system upgrade is getting essential now. But it's so daunting to change everything. I need 64bit as well, so a complete new system.

I was using cubase sx and the sw1000 and cubase synths with a pentium 4 3gig with 4 gig of ram.

it all started when i was looking for a new synth, i went on this website and was checking out atmosphere what it could do and so on, after a few weeks i phoned them up to buy it, the guy said its none continued and omnisphere is the one taking its place, i said ok i will take that,

a few days and it arived in the post couldent wait to open and get started when read it needs 40 gig of HD space i started to get that feeling you know that sinking feeling.

anyway i got it installed and started messing with it and all i herd was snap crackle and pop,
    i also herd a voice saying time for a new system.........

yep todays music software are so power hungry and need lots of ram if they are going to play nicely on your system, and all seems to be pointing to 64bit theses days

novaburst

it can only get gooder and gooder

Quote Originally Posted by novaburst View Post
    yep todays music software are so power hungry and need lots of ram if they are going to play nicely on your system, and all seems to be pointing to 64bit theses days

Looking more that way isn't it? Now I'm not sure which I dread the most; the expense, or the research needed to find matching, best bang for buck components. Or should I buy off the peg for the first time in my life?

Try 1.9.5 which is now out.
    I had tons of crashes with 1.9.4 in Nuendo XP SP3 and Windows 7 64 bit and went back to 1.9.3..... now that 1.9.5 is out, I have been using it for a few days and no problems thus far.
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Go Back to forum