• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Modal Network - Steinway Standard in a Jazz Trio setting

Share/Bookmark

The Modal Network - Steinway Standard in a Jazz Trio setting

This tune will be the background music for a friend's Youtube video series on business networking, so the playing is a bit sparse:

http://soundcloud.com/davin_seamon/t...twork-acoustic

Acoustic Piano - Garritan Steiway Standard (Under Lid)
    Upright Bass - Kontakt Factory Selection (free with Kontakt Player)
    Drums - EZDrummer Jazz EZX

I would appreciate any comments. It ends so abruptly to give the video producer control over the fade out.

Thanks,
    Davin

Re: The Modal Network - Steinway Standard in a Jazz Trio setting

Sounds good, and it should work well in such a setting. I can't fault it. Perhaps you could have added a modulation here and there (e.g. just after 1:20 I felt one coming), but that might distract. Bass and drum work well, though some small variation in volume might help, piano sounds very real, nice voicing.
    Theo

Nice piece!

My music college background is from a jazz school (although I majored in "Film Composition"). It brought back LOTS of very fond 30+ year-old memories of jamming in the practice rooms in college. We used to go on for ever (attempting) soloing over our favorite tunes and original compositions.

LOVE your piano chops. You had some really nice and tasteful soloing going on over your tune.

Regarding the composition. . . it would be nice to hear your music to the video to see how the music interacts with it. From a purely compositional point of view, it's a strong number and sounds like it would be fun jamming over the "head" with some friends for hours on end. (I really enjoyed doing that in my youth and really miss that part of my life.) But as someone suggested, there is a moment or two where even a simple modulation to another key would help give the composition a subtle lift. However, such a compositional tool might distract from the video. . . which is why it would be nice to see the video along with your music.

By the way. . . the sound was very convincing. As only a respectful suggestion, check out the drum sounds found in JABB. There are some nice drum-kit sounds found in that library. I use them quite frequently (for simple video scoring that I do for job-related educational projects). To my modest ears, at least, they're an excellent choice to have when creating that jazz and fusion sounding music.

Thank you for sharing.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Thanks so much for the comments, both positive and constructive. This piece, like many jazz gigs I've played, is meant to be "musical wallpaper." I purposely left this tune very simple and sparse so as not to distract too much from his voiceover in the video.

Go Back to forum