• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Little dissapointed with Dan Dean Solo Strings

Share/Bookmark

Little dissapointed with Dan Dean Solo Strings

There is no velocity splitting and the biggest let down was that there is no long/sustained notes without that over-the-top vibrato. This happens with ALL the instruments.
    If you are looking for a nice un-vibrated note FORGET IT, look elsewhere.
    These things are never updated are they?

Re: Little dissapointed with Dan Dean Solo Strings

Ben-I second that emotion, you can\'t play a simple country fiddle part with the violin,
    although I have had good results with more
    classical pieces.Still, for the money, it
    would have seemed natural to include non-
    vibrato versions.

For the money, I think Dan could have charged a lot more for his library. I think it\'s a pretty damn good deal.

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 04-10-2001).]

I think Dans solo string library is the \"best sounding\" solo string library available. I never need to add any EQ or anything to his samples. They were recorded and mastered very well.
    I understand not wanting vibrato especially if you\'re looking for a fiddle sound, but for classical music I personally like having natural vibrato. I don\'t think Dans vibratos are that over-the-top.
    If you\'re looking for non-vibrato solo string samples, check out the new xsample vol. 10 and 11. They have non-vibrato samples of violins, violas, cello, and double bass.
    PS: Dan if you read this, have you thought of putting an orchestral string library together in the future?

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 04-10-2001).]

Ben. I think people will find sounds useful depending on the type of work they are doing. When I got the DD Solo Strings, I was very excited about the sounds and quicky made use of the Violin in a couple things I was working on. Mostly stuff with a classical bent. But in general, I found the samples to be amazingly expressive and beautiful, for what I\'m doing anyway.
    I also have and use the Miroslav String Ensamble. After getting the DD strings, I replaced some of the Miroslav samples in a couple compositions with the DD strings and got much closer to what I was looking for in those cases. So it really depends on what kind of samples or sounds works for what you\'re trying to do.

P.S. I really liked the DD price and would have paid more. It\'s a good value in a world of expensive samples.

thanks
    Dan Fisher

The solo cello on the disk is worth the $100 by itself. The attack on the violin and viola are too slow for my taste, but I still find them useful.

[This message has been edited by Jamieh (edited 04-10-2001).]

The DD strings are very useful, IMHO. They sound great layered with the new X Samples strings. Also, Dan released an articulation file that loops each instrument.

I also find the attacks a little slow, but I plan to tweak them in the editor eventually.

A good value in my opinion.

MM

I found the attacks too slow for faster patches also. Where can I get the articulation file to loop the samples? I find the length of the samples way too short for slow pieces.

Ditto

I couldn\'t find the files on Dan\'s site, so I put them on my server:
    http://www.mm-pro.com/GigaFiles/

Everybody-Please read this!

No samples are in this directory, so if you don\'t own the library, there is nothing there you can use.

Thanks!

MM

Go Back to forum