• Register
  • Help

Topic: Basic MIDI, Sonar X1 and Aria question

Houston, TX

Question Basic MIDI, Sonar X1 and Aria question

Folks, I have been so busy the last couple of years, that I have let my music go, and am now trying to get back into things. Recently I purchased the upgrade to GPO (I had the original GPO) and upgraded my Sonar to X1, and have a simple question.
    In Sonar X1, I have two MIDI tracks. I want one to play through the Aria Player, and have it play the Steinway Classic sound. The second track I would like to be played is a Flute sound. I load them both in Aria, the piano in the first slot, and the flute in the second slot. When I play them on my keyboard, in Sonar, they both play at the same time. I have even tried having two instances of Aria, one with just the piano, and the second instance, just the flute. What am I doing wrong? I would like to record one track at a time, so I don't think I need to have my Midi controller (an antique Roland A-80) send out separate channels, because to be quite honest, I don't remember how to configure the controller to do that. And since I only wish to record one track at a time, I thought I could get away with setting the MIDI input in Sonar to Omni.
    I'm sure there is an easy answer for this, but I don't know what it is. Any help/advice you might have is GREATLY appreciated, thanks so very much in advance!

Re: Basic MIDI, Sonar X1 and Aria question

In ARIA, select the midi channel 1 for the Piano, and midi channel 2 for the flute.
    Then go to Sonar, and select "omni" as input of the first midi track, and midi "channel 1" as output. Do the same for the second track, but select as output midi "channel 2".
    I believe that this will do the trick.
    Marcelo Colina

Hi, rfdillon

You also want to click the "1/2" on your second track and assign it to "3/4." Then your piano will be coming out of the first stereo audio outs from Aria (1/2) and your flute will be coming out of the second stereo outs (3/4).

In Sonar, you need two audio tracks - the first assigned to Aria 1/2 and the second to 3/4. That way, only the piano will be heard on track one, and the flute on track two.

This is in addition to what Marce explained about needing the instruments on two different MIDI channels.

If that's still unclear, you need to look at Tutorial #4 in Sonar which explains how to use soft synths. You get to the Tutes by clicking Help in Sonar.

Hello, neighbor! --

I live just up I-45 from you in the blooming city of Willis if you'd like to contact me privately. I have and use all of the software you have mentioned so far in your posts.

I am glad to see you getting back into the field. I also was absent for a number of years until just over a year ago, so I know what it's like to re-start again.

Happy music making!
    Arvid Hand

Go Back to forum