... this time GPo standing not for "Personal Orchestra" but "Pocket Orchestra".
Garritan Pocket Orchestra is a set of Garritan samples, and relevant sfz programs, which comes with any version of Cakewalk Dimension. I am not sure, but I believe the samples are the same as GPO, only a smaller set as they do not cover the full chromatical range.
Nice thing is that they come in .wav format and I could not resist the temptation of importing them into my soft sampler. Just for fun, but also a little bit to see how they would behave in a different environment with more options to control them and make an impact on them. So I pulled the samples of the string sections and imported them.
Said samples include long bows, short bows, pizzicato and tremolo sets.
To cut a long story short, at the end of the process I found myself with 6 patches. 4 patches are the ones relevant to the available sets of articulations. The remaining 2 were a mere product of experimentation.
The "programming" (well... yes... I am laughing at myself right now ) is common to all patches.
Basically, I adopted a common AHDSR envelope, which is though fully adjustable (in real time via mappable CC) and added a little bit of behaviour.
Having just one velocity available, I had to apply a little variation in tone, and did it in proper GP(ersonal)O style but, instead of velocity/cc1, most is done here via velocity only, which controls volume, a lowpass filter frequency, the intensity of the AHDSR envelope and the attack speed.
To move things around a bit, notes' velocity varies randomly within a -10/+10 range through a random generator.
Sections have been panned in, roughly, orchestral positions, but I also added a random generator on the panning, which "pans the panning" -15/+15, thus trying to simulate the physical "lenght" of the section.
Adjustable glide modulator (portamento) was also defined, but I have not really been able to test it properly. Legato behaviour is in also, and an adjustable vibrato via a LFO applied on the pitch of the note, controllable via CC1. As the LFO is adjustable in real time in intensity (cc1) and frequency via mappable cc, it is also an acceptable simulator of trills.
The really nice things, though, happened with the two extra patches I mentioned above.
Basically, these are compound patches built layering the short and long bows. Violins have two sample sets of short bows, remaining instruments just one. (well.. so it seems, as naming and consistency of the sets is a bit chaotic. This is the way I handled them, anyway).
In the case of violas, cellos and basses, this compound "sus+short" patch triggers the layered long and short bows samples, but in case of fast repeated notes triggers alternatively the layered sample and a modified version of the long bow sample (different starting point). In case of the violins, there are two separated sus/short patches, each created by layering the long samples with each of the two short sets of samples. They get triggered alternatively, round robin style, plus a third set of samples (again, long bows with different attack) gets triggered in fast repetitions alternatively with the other two.
This might sound a bit "messy"... told you this was just experimentation. The point is... these actually sound interesting.
I would like to share here a couple of tests I've done with these patches applied on standard midi files, mainly for curiosity and to know your opinion (I reckon there are pretty qualitative "ears" on this forum) but I do not know whether I would infringe any copyright law regarding the samples sets if I publish them. So, in case this might be interesting to anyone... and this is LEGAL, I can just forward them.
One last thing: this doesn' t absolutely pretend to be taken seriously. It was and is just a "game".
Bye to everyone.