• Register
  • Help

Topic: Simple MIDI question...

Share/Bookmark

Red face Simple MIDI question...

Sorry, may be this it is trivial, but I cant find the answer:
    (newbie to Garritan libraries)

Is there a sheet that shows “Bank Number” and “Program Number” in order to change the “patches” of the aria player (VST or stand alone) from inside a MIDI Sequence.
    For example y I send Bank 3, program 4, I get a flute and if I send bank 4, program 11 I get an alto sax and so on.

Best regards.

Re: Simple MIDI question...

No official list that I know of, but I also didn't know that GPO responded to bank/patch changes.
    Maybe someone here has done this already.

Oh, which library are you using?

GPO4 and JABB3

It really depends on what you want to do.

If you only want to change to a different articulation or attack for the same instrument, then use the KS (keyswitch) version of the patch and follow the instructions for keyswitching.

If you want to change to a different instrument altogether, the usual procedure is to load both instruments into different ARIA Player channels and change the channels, instead of using patch changes.

Officially, according to the MIDI controller chart in Appendix A of the GPO manual, the Garritan libraries do not respond to patch changes to different instruments using standard MIDI messages. You have to change channels to change instruments.

The procedure for changing the channels like this will require that you consult the documentation for whatever software package you are using to control the ARIA Player, including Reaper, Sonar, Cubase, Sibelius, Finale, Overture or whatever.
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

The problem with patch changes in sample libraries is the load time as you change from instrument to instrument. It's not like the hardware instruments where everything is stored in memory and patch changes are pretty much instantaneous.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    The problem with patch changes in sample libraries is the load time as you change from instrument to instrument. It's not like the hardware instruments where everything is stored in memory and patch changes are pretty much instantaneous.

Jim
    Yep, that's it. Back in the "old days" when everything was hardware-based, the industry standard was 16 channels, and patch changes were the only way to work with more than 16 instruments. Thankfully, all that's long gone. The only thing I would add to what Arvid and Jim said is that most (if not all) modern notation and DAW software will support multiple VST plug-ins. So let's say, for example, you need to use 48 GPO4 instruments. In this case you would load 3 instances of the ARIA VST plug-in through your notation/DAW program, then assign your instruments of choice in each instance however you want.

As far as the channel changes themselves go, I believe the only limitation would be that your channel changes have to be within a given instance of ARIA -- in other words, no "instance jumping." (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. If there's a way to do it in Sonar 8.5, I'd love a tip on how I can make it happen.)

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Go Back to forum