• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kontakt Player 4

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt Player 4

Hi All:

For those of you that still use the Kontakt Player (2) (GPO, Stradivari, Gofriller, etc.),
    there is a new FREE download from NI entitled, "Kontakt Player 4."

I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz., 8 GB RAM, and installed all of my
    Garritan libraries on it. Everything worked fine EXCEPT the Stradivari. The instruments
    would not show up regardless of what I did. I also had expert help with this from Dan
    Kury and with all of his knowledge of the Garritan libraries, he couldn't find the answer
    to my problem.

I immediately went to NI Support for assistance. They recommended that I download
    the Kontakt Player 4 and that this would solve my problem with the Stradivari.

If anyone has downloaded the Kontakt Player 4 and is using it, please reply on how
    everything is going. I need some kind of help to get my Stradivari installed correctly
    on my new laptop.

Thanks everyone,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: Kontakt Player 4

FWIW,

The Strad works just fine on my MBP with Kontakt 4 Player. I did install the Strad first, then several months later when the updated NI player came out, I upgraded and everything still worked. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Did you point the Kontakt Player to your Strad folder, so it knew where to find the files?

Hi Jack

I still use several older libraries (including GPO3) that were built for and came bundled with the Kontakt 2 player.

I now use these within the full Kontakt 4 sampler on my PC, and had no problems ... the K4 player should be able to load your earlier libraries too, and I think should be able to load K4 alongside K2 and don't need to uinstall it first.

Just install the K4 player alongside your existing installation, and then click on the "Add Library" button under the libraries tab. It should recognise your existing licence registration for the library if you already have it installed and registered through the NI service centre, but otherwise you may need to activate it afresh, until which time it will run in demo mode only.

Peter

I use KP 4 for Symphobia, projectSam Orchestral Brass and Virtual Drumline. Works great, no problems, not glitchy. I use ARIA for all of my Garritan stuff.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Jack,

the Stradivari is optimized for Kontakt 2. Noone has opimized it for later versions. So, the best way for you is to install also the Kontakt player 2 for using the Stradivari.
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist View Post
    Jack,

the Stradivari is optimized for Kontakt 2. Noone has opimized it for later versions. So, the best way for you is to install also the Kontakt player 2 for using the Stradivari.

WOW. I didn't know that. I guess no one so far that has responded has tried to use
    Kontakt Player 4 with the Stradivari. I can see your point very well. Thank you Gunther.
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

The Stradivari is optimized for Kontakt 2.
    Gunther/Jack

Unless there are known compatibility issues, one could just as well say that we shouldn't use any MS-Office document in a later version of this suite and we'd all be stuck on Office '95.

As with all application programs, the K4 player should generally be backwards compatible to play any library written for an earlier version of the program, and although the Stradivarius library may have been written for an earlier version of the Kontakt player, it may in theory run better from being run in a newer version of the player, when it may benefit from in general improvements made to the player itself, particularly true if that's what NI recommend - and they should know.

I understand from what you say that running it in K2 is not an option, Jack, so I'd really recommend giving it a try unless anyone can point out any insurmountable problems with doing so, adn I see that Jeff has used it this way ona a Mac without any issues.

If you install K4 alongside K2 you can always unstall it again if you do have problems, so there seems to be no risk/harm in trying.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jeffrey Gale View Post

As with all application programs, the K4 player should generally be backwards compatible to play any library written for an earlier version of the program, and although the Stradivarius library may have been written for an earlier version of the Kontakt player, it may in theory run better from being run in a newer version of the player, when it may benefit from in general improvements made to the player itself, particularly true if that's what NI recommend - and they should know.
    It should, but it seems that the Stradivari plays best on Kontakt 2. There were many problems with other libs, too. So what? :-)
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jeffrey Gale View Post
    Gunther/Jack

If you install K4 alongside K2 you can always unstall it again if you do have problems, so there seems to be no risk/harm in trying.

Peter
    Peter:

I installed it on the laptop hardrive. I'm a little confused about the "Add Library" step.
    When I reopened Digital Performer, the old Kontakt Player 2 was loaded.

How do I load Kontakt Player 4 without deleting (from the HD) Kontakt Player 2?

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    How do I load Kontakt Player 4 without deleting (from the HD) Kontakt Player 2?
    Well ... DP Dan might be best helping with this, but basically you'll need to insert a new instance of the Kontakt 4 player, just as you must have done when first setting up a Kontakt 2 player.

If you're using an existing project which already uses Kontakt 2, make a copy of your project file first. It should be ok to have two instances of different kontakt players side by side in your project just as you might have two instances of the same version of kontakt, or even multiple instances of different players together in one project

If you've started a new project and Kontakt 2 has loaded then it seems that your copy of DP is set to load one automatically, so you can just delete that VST and proceed to load a new copy of Kontakt 4.

Hopefully, Kontakt 4 installed the VST files (.dll's in PC speak) in your VST folder, otherwise you might have to either point DP to where it was installed, or copy the [.dll] files to your normal VST folder for.

Once you get Kontatk 4 up in DP you'll see it hasn't changed much in appearance since v2 ... just a little smoother looking.

Make sure the "Browser" icon is selected adn highlighted at the top of the screen ... this shows the browser window, surprisingly! There's a set of tabs at the top there, you want to select the second one called "Library", where there's an option/button at the top call "Add Library" ... click on that and browse to point it to your top level Strad library folder, wherever that is.

Bedtime now for us this side of the pond, so hopefully Dan or someone else can talk you through the Digital Performer side of things, otherwise I'll be around over the weekend.

It should, but it seems that the Stradivari plays best on Kontakt 2. There were many problems with other libs, too. So what? :-)
    Do you have any link to what problems were reported with using the Strad on Kontakt 4, Gunther? My google search only came up with links to this thread (already!) and pirated copies of the Strad (presumably ported?) for the Kontakt 4 player, which Jack could always legally download if Gary give's him the ok to do so! LOL

Go Back to forum