• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO4 "Notation" samples - different balance than limited GPO bundled with Finale?

Share/Bookmark

GPO4 "Notation" samples - different balance than limited GPO bundled with Finale?

Hi all,

I recently purchased the upgrade to GPO4 Full to use in Finale 2011 instead of the built in limited Garritan samples.

When switching files to use the GPO4 "notation" instruments, I notice that the instrument balance is somewhat off. Instruments are suddenly quieter/louder than they were with the built in Garritan instruments. I had to switch those tracks back to the built in limited Garritan samples to get back the balance I had before.

I am wondering why this is the case - it is possible that I am doing something wrong, or maybe the samples use a balancing that is designed to work somewhat with Sibelius and somewhat with Finale and is thus not as good as the built in ones which are optimized for Finale?

Either way I would like to get this resolved, because at the moment I am still using the built in Garritan in Finale while my GPO4 is collecting dust.

Thanks!

Re: GPO4 "Notation" samples - different balance than limited GPO bundled with Finale?

Hi Mike!

I will try to check this out either tonight or sometime tomorrow. I've had GPO4 since it was released and therefore have not used the Garritan library included with Finale 2011. It's interesting because it's my understanding there really shouldn't be any difference between the two. However, I have noticed what you talked about on occasion using GPO4. I'll get back to you when I have a chance to check it out.

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Re: GPO4 "Notation" samples - different balance than limited GPO bundled with Finale?

Hey, thanks, I appreciate it!

Hi Arvid, thanks for the reply!

It is good to see someone else is noticing this. The behavior I am seeing appears to be linked directly to some programming difference in the samples, however. I say this because when I take an existing document and switch to the GPO4 Notation sample and hit play the balance changes. When I change that document back to the built in limited Garritan instruments, it goes back to the way it was. All I am doing is changing the VST instrument chosen in the ARIA player, all other settings are being left the same.

Unless there is some "hidden", "special programming" (which I somewhat doubt) the settings that govern Garritan human playback in Finale are the settings visible in HP preferences. The settings look for Garritan in the library name and other rather generic things like that which would apply as equally to the built in samples as they would to the GPO4 full notation samples. Those HP settings should therefore be kicking in for either library.

Hi,

I am sorry that you feel this way - no insult was intended at all.

I wish to clarify a few things in my previous post - I did not mean to say the problem is in the samples for sure, because there are other possibilities:

- There could be a set of HP preferences specific to GPO 4 that I do not have installed and am not aware of which re-balances these things for the different samples.
    - There could be a name change in a patch or patches or somewhere else which is causing the Human Playback preference in the list to not take effect properly
    - There could just be some weird bug in Finale, as Finale has hardly been bug-free.

Go Back to forum