• Register
  • Help

Topic: Turn off Modulation wheel for World Instrument?

Share/Bookmark

Turn off Modulation wheel for World Instrument?

Hi there...
    Did I just not yet find it or is there no way to disable the modwheel for an instrument in GWI?
    I use Vienna ensemble pro and control some other instruments by the modwheel (volume,filter). Unfortunately, the harps also start to "warble".

Re: Turn off Modulation wheel for World Instrument?

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Francis View Post
    Hi there...
    Did I just not yet find it or is there no way to disable the modwheel for an instrument in GWI?
    I use Vienna ensemble pro and control some other instruments by the modwheel (volume,filter). Unfortunately, the harps also start to "warble".
    Hello, Sid

You're correct that an instrument like a harp in World will "warble" with CC1 (Mod Wheel) because that's an example of an instrument which has its velocity controlled only by velocity. The warble is vibrato.

But the way you control one instrument shouldn't have anything to do with how you control another instrument. With each instrument on a separate MIDI channel, and in its own track, you apply the appropriate controllers for each instrument. You wouldn't want to disable the Mod Wheel, you just need to use it when it's appropriate, like for the wind instruments, and leave it alone for percussion and various other instruments, like the harp.

Randy

Hey Randy...thanks for answering. I fear my explanation wasn´t quite clear, I shouldn´t write threads when I am coming home tired from work.;-)

The harp is stacked! with other instruments in "Ensemble Pro". Several Harps together with strings as a pad underneath and a violin in the upper register, all controlled by one! midi channel. ( gosh, I have outed myself as a new-age composer I fear..;-) ) This is the reason why I just bought Ensemble Pro: to have my templates ready to start composing. With the wheel I control volume of the pad and Violin vibrato together but unfortunately, vibrato is also adressed to the harps which also lie under the violin. And that is really annoying whilst playing. I could solve that afterwards by separating the instruments again but not when recording because I record using the whole template at once.

G’day Sid,

I don’t knowEnsemble Pro”.

You said:

“The harp is stacked! with other instruments in "Ensemble Pro". Several Harps together with strings as a pad underneath and a violin in the upper register, all controlled by one! midi channel”

Why do you use one midi channel only? If you use separate channels for each instrument, you will have full control over each instrument.

Herbert
    GPO, JABB, CMB, GWI, GOFRILLER, HALION PLAYER, ACCORDIONS by E Tarilonte
    Cubase 6, Notation Composer, VSTHost, GoldWave audio editor.

Interests:
    Good Food, Gemütlichkeit, Wein Weib und Gesang – History, Politics, Civil Law –
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

Hello herbert!

I play that stack alltogether? i.e: I play one key and all instruments play the same note, as intended. But I only want the violin and the strings to react on mod wheel, not the harp.
    And I cannot tell Samplitude nor Ensemble Pro to send modwheel data only to certain instruments or certain midi channels, they just don´t have that feature.
    And I want to listen to all instruments together whilst playing because exactly that gives me the inspiration. Otherwise I could record them instrument per instrument and then delete the modwheel data when needed. But that doesn´t work if I play it LIVE alltogether...

I think you can edit the .sfz file for that instrument. Copy it in the same directory but under another name, e.g. Harp no mod, and edit that file so that vibrato is mapped unto another controller, one that doesn't get used by the other instruments, or set the lfo amplitude to 0 or something like that. I think you can find a description of the sfz file here on the forum.

If I'm not mistaken, the new file will show up in the menu. If it doesn't, rename the old one (Harp with mod) and rename the new one to the old one.
    Theo

Hello Theo!

That was a very nice tip and worked like a charm! Changing all cco1 data from 50 to 00 did the trick. Great!

Interesting - I hadn't heard of "Vienna Ensemble Pro" before, so I had a look at the online info.

I'm glad you found a solution that's working for you, Sid - and thanks for the explanation of what you're doing.

I think you do understand that the Ensemble Pro is basically a mixer to tie in as many sources you want, numerous computers, numerous instrument software programs etc. But there isn't any limit to the number of MIDI channels you can use, or audio tracks.

You're choosing to work in this "one track plays a multi-layered mega-instrument" way, which does achieve the New Age sound you mentioned. It sounds so limiting though, with no other orchestration happening but the one keyboard performance - and all the instruments reacting as they can with what you play in that one track. - Do you ever go "wild" and add another MIDI track or two, on a different channel--? I'm not imagining how you wouldn't want individual instruments or groups to carry a piece for a bit now and then, to give variety to your recordings.

Randy

Randy: perhaps just for clarification and the general level of your hints: I am composer and musician with synthesizers since 25 Years and after about 15 CDs published have a certain picture in my mind about midi... And I bought Ensemble only because I can combine several instruments from different companys to ONE preset which is savable.
    The above mentioned sounds is ONE sound that I use to create a song. But surely the songs are made up of about 20 Tracks. I just need ONE of those more complex sounds for initial inspiration, the rest is simpler and often a single sound. But: I come from tape machines and use Samplitude (and Cubase and logic before) mainly as a big new Tape machine, so I bounce every midirecording immediately down, after processing it in numerous ways. I just like audio and the vision of sampled waveforms much much more than the piano roll editor.;-)
    But nevertheless many thanks to you for your patient and detailed answers. Perhaps just rush a bit in the future when answering my questions..,-) I hope you understand this right, I am no native speaker ...german composer
    By the way: I was the first to make several suggestions for GWI in that dedicated thread so: how is it going with Garritan World: any patch in sight perhaps? Its been some time now...
    Best wishes
    Sid Francis

P.S.: My music can be heard at www.myspace.com/sidfrancis

PPS: After some reflection I want to add that it is really really nice of you to take the time and answer so detailed. Though my skills are a bit beyond your hints it surely is very very helpful for musicians to get some kick to new directions from time to time.

Hello again, Sid

Thank you very much for the interesting, detailed reply. I didn't mean to impugn your abilities or understanding about MIDI, I didn't realize from your post that you were experienced. Your initial question reminded me of ones I've heard from beginners who think the only thing to be done with MIDI is layer sounds, and so I wrote some replies meant to be helpful from that perspective. We didn't know before this last post that you are indeed using many tracks, and not just this one with multiple instruments triggered at once.

I like especially what you said about going to audio with your MIDI tracks as soon as possible. Though I like to work in the PRV to take full advantage of MIDI controllers which make samples and synths more natural and organic sounding, I also always go to audio for the nitty gritty of building and mixing a project. I think people not working that way in some fashion are missing out.

Carry on!
    Randy

Go Back to forum