• Register
  • Help

Topic: Clarinets too loud, and Brass too quiet.

Share/Bookmark

Clarinets too loud, and Brass too quiet.

Hey. I'm writing a piece with GPO in Finale 2009c, and am having a ridiculously hard time setting the volume in the mixer (the Finale mixer, the Aria one automatically does what Finale does): the clarinets over power anything and everything, even when I set them to 40 (with 0 being quietest and 127 being loudest), and the brass and percussion (which are on 127) are almost inaudible. The other woodwinds (set between 80-100...which all sounds exactly the same) also seem to over power everything (especially the contrabassoons), but if I turn them down at all, they become inaudible, but not as much as the brass. What does everybody else who uses finale usually do with volume? And what about the brass overlays? The Horn "ff" is the loudest thing in the GPO library, but the Horn "f" is almost as quiet as the near-inaudible chimes.

Thanks for the help!
    Zacharias Paul Gustav Büchner
    ComposerTrumpeter

Re: Clarinets too loud, and Brass too quiet.

Also, I check the setting before playback (where everything is at "standard" volume), and after playback in a section where everything is marked "pp", that all the mod-wheels have changed (as they should), but the brass go to 1% to 11% from their standard 79%, and the woodwinds don't change at all (the mod-wheel stays at 63%). How do I fix this without making one file for the score and one for playback, or without buying something like LogicPro or Sonar?
    ComposerTrumpeter

Hi,

This probably does not help you but I had this exact problem in Finale 2009 randomly. When I went up to Finale 2010 it disappeared and is not present in Finale 2010 or 2011.

I can only hope or the day college stops eating my money and I can get enough to get an update for Finale.

Does anyone else have any ideas what I should do to fix the woodwind-dynamics in the meantime?
    ComposerTrumpeter

Go Back to forum