• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Since we're talking "Strings"....

Since we're talking "Strings"....

We have been talking about the apparent inherent weakness of the string section in many libraries. GPO, unfortunately is not immune from criticism in that regard. Ah, there is always room for improvement.

I thought I'd post a recent rendering of a not-so-recent piece I composed, for strings.

I attempted to mitigate some of the "string issues" by layering a few solo strings into the mix. I think the sound came out not too bad, considering. (considering I don't use a DAW!)

Here is the recording of the work in question: "Scherzo pour cordes" (scherzo for strings), which will be the finale of a projected serenade for strings.

I can't say I'm 100% happy with the rendering. To my ear, it still sounds synthy. Although I'm quite happy with the composition itself!

Re: Since we're talking "Strings"....

Very nice piece qc. Very expressive in parts and of course quite contrapuntal as I know you're fond of.

As far as the rendering I see what you mean. There are some softer parts that are a bit synthy, but overall I think it's good. I can't say I really hear the solo strings layered in there. All the opening gestures have a nice sound and resonance to them. It's the quieter answers and sustained notes that sound synthy to me. There's a kind of unnatural swell to the sound. Not your fault of course.

At any rate, thanks for posting this.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Excellent piece, and well rendered. The strings are strong throughout. There is of course that creep in of 'synth' in parts but its very minor overall.

It's good to push back at sound libraries and want more realism, always. But we also get a little sidetracked by it instead of enjoying the music people are creating.

Perfection in string quality is I feel, almost unobtainable, even with the greatest of sound libraries, and the work involved for a 5% increase in realism can be a frustrating and time consuming process which detracts from creating music.

But there is a level of acceptance in rendering I will not go below. And I keep trying to raise my own bar on this. You're well above my bar with this piece.

Only thing I felt was that some of the solo additions sounded a little bit like a player in the section wasn't blending as well as they could. But I found this with solos. Its the nature of samples.

Well done.

Excellent composition. Loved the strings and the effects produced by your
    music. Great crescendos, etc.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Nice composition, however I feel your pain on the issue of strings. I recently purchased a very high end string library due to being fed up with synthy strings. If you wish, you can send me the midi file and I can run it through once I have it set up.

I really do like this piece... very nicely done.

thank-you all for your kind comments.

I am a hopeless optimist. I am holding out for Gary to give us the truly fine product I KNOW he has in store for us.
    I won't purchase any other string libraries until the new Garritan strings comes out.
    I only wish we knew a bit more.

Very nice composition!
    I like the little "quote" of the Pathetique

Regarding the strings: The layering seemed to have helped. Very realistic in some parts. In others there is a bit of synthiness; is difficult to remove.

Michel, you are a man of courage. I would not even attempt
    a piece like this with the GPO strings... lol!

There is such nuance and grace to it, moments of sweetness
    and moments of light -- beyond, I think, what are the more humble
    intentions of these strings. Though, from what my spies tell
    me, you'll assuredly be able to do it greater justice when the new
    GOS comes along.

Impressive writing, as ever, though I must say there seems to
    be a gentler side of you in this that I have not heard so much
    of before... as well as a certain playfulness.

With admiration,

David Sosnowski

thank-you Reinhold.
    And thank-you David.

This piece was part of my master's thesis, and strangely, it's rather joyful for a work that was composed shortly before my father passed away from leukemia. I had to take a semester off from doing my degree. I think there's a bit of sarcasm in the "joy".

so, come on, let that little birdy drop a hint about when the GOS is coming out????

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post

so, come on, let that little birdy drop a hint about when the GOS is coming out????
    That, I honestly do not know, Michel.

But am eagerly awaiting it, myself!

David Sosnowski

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast