• Register
  • Help

Topic: Steinway Help

Share/Bookmark

Steinway Help

Hi,
    I'd like to know if there's a way to to adjust the stereo spread without enabling reverb? Does the Quality knob affect only reverb or everything in the Ambiance section?
    What changes should I make, if any, to the Info section? I have 12 GB of RAM and am using Windows 7 x64. I'd like to load as much of the piano to RAM.
    Thanks,
    Sergio

Re: Steinway Help

Quote Originally Posted by sergiobklyn View Post
    Hi,
    I'd like to know if there's a way to to adjust the stereo spread without enabling reverb? Does the Quality knob affect only reverb or everything in the Ambiance section?
    What changes should I make, if any, to the Info section? I have 12 GB of RAM and am using Windows 7 x64. I'd like to load as much of the piano to RAM.
    Thanks,
    Sergio
    You could use some Stereo enhancer vst or plugin (Reaper for example has one inside).

Re: Steinway Help

Quote Originally Posted by sergiobklyn View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks,
    Sergio
    The Steinway is programmed to be a solo instrument, and so the stereo spread can be pretty wide, depending on which view you have loaded. The quality knob you're talking about is for the Ambience, just to lighten the CPU load if you need to. Changes in the Info section wouldn't change the stereo spread.

But of course the piano is also used in ensemble situations, and then if the stereo spread is too wide, it's the sort of adjustment to be done in your recording program. Like Briff mentioned a plug-in in Reaper that is used for adjusting the spread. I use Sonar and there's a nifty plug-in called Channel Tools, and narrowing the spread is one of its basic uses. The plug-in is basically taking the two channels of the stereo track and panning them closer together. After narrowing it, then I pan the piano a bit to one side of the stage or the other (usually left) and it sounds in proportion to the mix. Without narrowing, the piano can seem to be super close to the listener, which makes it not sit in with the other instruments the way you want.

So, look for a plug-in in the recording software you use which can play with the stereo image. If you use a notation program - I don't know if a plug-in like that is available.

Randy

Go Back to forum