• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How Does Garritan Work?

Share/Bookmark

How Does Garritan Work?

Utterly dissatisfied with the unrealistic sounds I'm getting from Finale, I am seriously considering purchasing Garritan Personal Orchestra to make my compositions sound more authentic.

However, I'm not sure exactly how the Garritan process works, and I'm hoping someone here can kindly enlighten me.

Do I take an existing Finale composition, and run that through Garritan to change the instrument sounds?

Or is a MIDI controller required to use GPO?

Thanks for your help!

Re: How Does Garritan Work?

Recent versions of Finale come bundled with some Garritan sounds. Are you using those sounds now? The full GPO will give you more sounds, but they will be the same quality as those included with Finale. A lot of what makes Finale playback sound good, is all of the information that you input into the file which Human Playback can then interpret.

Garritan libraries plug into Finale, so there isn't much work required. Finale will route the MIDI to the full GPO rather than it's built in library and use GPO for recording instead, then.

And Jeff does bring up a good point about recent editions of Finale including a lite version of GPO. To really get the best sound out of you computer, virtual instruments is only a small bit of the work. One has to tweak the MIDI data quite extensively or else the sound produced will end up rather bland.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

To expound on my previous post. You need to be very specific about the information you input into Finale to affect playback. For example, if you have a crescendo, make sure you also have starting and destination dynamics. Use many articulations. Insert expressions that affect playback but do not print and affect the visual look of the page. Give specific metronome markings. Adjust the mixing levels of each instrument, adjust the reverb. (Finale is 100% wet by default). You can create several different accents for example, each one with a different velocity value. Musicians aren't always going to give equal attacks to each accent. basically, you need to add imperfections to the playback to make it so less like a machine. You can also use Finale's archaic midi tool to randomize various elements.

Thumbs up Re: How Does Garritan Work?

Garritan works very long hours and very hard! That's after he has his Starbucks coffee.
    Styxx

Thumbs up Re: How Does Garritan Work?

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
    Garritan works very long hours and very hard! That's after he has his Starbucks coffee.
    OK, that made me chuckle. Thumbs up for you. lol

To answer the OP, I believe even the documention for GPO states that GPO is no substitute for a real live orchestra. That being said, it makes a darned good substitute, provided you master its elements (and there are a lot, believe it or not). Having a MIDI input device like a keyboard is not essential but will help get your initial ideas down much quicker than having to input them manually in a sequencer.

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it. (And yes, I did chortle at Styxx's joke, despite myself.)

The version of Finale that I'm currently using doesn't have Garritan bundled with it, but I'm willing to pay for the full version of GPO, because the samples I've heard are excellent, and from what I've read Garritan is the best product of its kind in this price range--and a far cry superior to Finale's default sounds (which, after all, aren't supposed to be realistic).

Do any of you guys use Finale with Garritan? If so, do you have any compositions I can listen to? I'd love to hear what can be achieved by following the tips and processes you've kindly shared with me.

Thanks a lot!

All of the work on my personal site (other than a few live piano cuts
    using the Garritan Steinway) is done solely with Finale and Garritan.

PDFs of the scores used for rendering are also included in most cases.

Feel free to browse...

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

same with my music. all rendered and printed via Finale.

Quote Originally Posted by stdufus View Post
    The version of Finale that I'm currently using doesn't have Garritan bundled with it, but I'm willing to pay for the full version of GPO, because the samples I've heard are excellent, and from what I've read Garritan is the best product of its kind in this price range--and a far cry superior to Finale's default sounds (which, after all, aren't supposed to be realistic).
    If you're using a pre-Garritan version of Finale, that means you're using a version older than 2006. If you buy the full version of GPO, it's not going to work with older versions of Finale. GPO uses the Aria interface, this interface only works with Finale version from 2009 and newer.

Go Back to forum