• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Yellow Tools PURE GUITARS

Share/Bookmark

Yellow Tools PURE GUITARS

Has anyone purchased this CD, and if so, was it as good as they claim. I am particularly
    interested in the nylon string guitars.
    Thanks!

Re: Yellow Tools PURE GUITARS

I was a bit disappointed by the nylon string guitar instrument in the Pure Guitars library, which I bought a month or so ago. I was hoping for a more \"classical\" attack and tone.

But I\'m pretty new to the sampling world, and maybe I just don\'t know good when I hear it. Classical guitar is the one instrument I know pretty well, and so far I haven\'t heard a wholly satisfactory synth\'d or sampled version. I just bought the Reality softsynth partly because of its vaunted \"classical nylon guitar\" synth algorithm. Although I still have hopes of tweaking it into something usable, it too was a bit disappointing out of the box.

Maybe one of these days I\'ll make my own classical guitar Giga instrument. I\'ve got the mikes and DAW. What I don\'t have is knowledge of mike placement -- or enough silence in my little-bitty house. I have to wait till the rest of my family is out stealing hubcabs, and even then there\'s the cats, not to mention trains, planes, and automobiles.

Pure guitars has three main Nylon patches:

1. Spanish guitar
    2. Concert guitar
    3. Nylon vibrato

Each of these has a key-switched version as well as other layers. Key switching enables switching between harmonics,fx noises and the main tone.

The guitar tones themseleves are excellent, with just the right amount of fret and string noise, \"slides-up\" with increased velocity and a reasonably balanced tone when moving from bass to treble. As with all nylon-string samples I have worked with, the higher registers are the least convincing, but still usable. The collection also has a nice set of steel guitars (notes and chords) and a couple of acoustic bass patches.

When compared with collections such as Hans Zimmer guitars (Vols 1 and 2) and Quantum Leap Guitar/Bass, I think this collection holds its own quite well. No electrics on this this collection, so slightly less versatile (and less expensive) than its contenders. Hans ZimmerVol 2 has a fantastic flamenco guitar with a variety of patches and some nice chord patterns. But I think I like the Pure Guitars slightly better for nylons(all my personal taste.)

I think the whole concept of \"simulating\" an acoustic instrument with sampling is fraught with difficulties and disappointments. For the real acoustic guitar player, all samples are inadquate. But \"Pure Guitars\" can yield beautiful and convincing results when used intelligently and creatively. You have to compose parts that work well with your samples.

A special note: Rolands \"Latin\" Expansion card for the JV/XV series has some excellent nylon and requinto patches. I have used several in recordings with convincing results. Nice in the upper registers to simulate \"picador\" type guitar playing.

Good luck,

leadbelly

Thanks guys for your replies-I have been disapointed by some recent purchases, such as the famous Steinway B (not enough fff samples, and latency compared to Gigapiano) and the Xample Vibraphone(lack of complete
    note range)......so all input is welcome!

Slightly OT:

>Classical guitar is the one instrument I know pretty well, and so far I haven\'t heard a wholly satisfactory synth\'d or sampled version. I just bought the Reality softsynth partly because of its vaunted \"classical nylon guitar\" synth algorithm. Although I still have hopes of tweaking it into something usable, it too was a bit disappointing out of the box.<

I had Realiy & sold it. It is usable for the organ-kind-stuff but guitars?... NO WAY. I had a very short contact to somebody from Seer and even he (as a guitarist) confirmed, he dind\'t so much like the guitars. I don\'t think you get something usable there (probably the new Tassman Physical modelling synth is able to offer something...). A pretty interesting hardware is the Korg Oasys. I yet have to try: listen to the guitar demos at: http://www.korg.com/oasyspci.htm

One might get a lot more from that.

>Maybe one of these days I\'ll make my own classical guitar Giga instrument.<

O.k. You can play classical guitar. Why not than play the real thing instead of samples. Because it is too loud???: Get a Godin Multiac or ACS. Very very good recording instruments (direct into board-recording possible!)

regards

------------------
    O.H.

I\'m glad Leadbelly posted his positive review to offset my slightly negative one. If I were you, I\'d believe him rather than me. I did listen to the Pure Guitars demo before I bought the library, and it made me think the nylon guitar would at least be good for laid-back Earl Klugh-style arrangements if not for the kind of stuff I had in mind -- and now that I have the library, I still think that\'s probably true.

OH, thanks for the advice. Fact is, I do have a Godin Multiac, and it has solved a lot of problems I used to have trying to play live dates with a standard classical. But I\'m still pretty backwards when it comes to sound reinforcement, and I admit I never tried direct recording with it because I figured I\'d never get anything like the tonal variety I get from my standard classical. When I think about making my own Giga, I think in terms of keyswitching not only a la Pure Guitars, but also between different tone colors -- e.g., plucked over the soundhole, near the bridge, over the fingerboard, buffed ... Pretty ambitious, huh? But after all, I am an

Oksi Moron

\"and I admit I never tried direct recording with it because I figured I\'d never get anything like the tonal variety I get from my standard classical.\"

Well. Then try it. It solves the issue of disturbing family or neighbours at night & sounds good. It is definitely a live AND recording guitar (but sure no high-end classical). But if you like its live-sound you will very likely love its recorded sound as well. AND: It is definitely the better way than using samples played by others. BUT: In case you ever make your own Giga-libray: Please let me know. My email: harryprivat@aol.com

\"When I think about making my own Giga, I think in terms of keyswitching not only a la Pure Guitars, but also between different tone colors -- e.g., plucked over the soundhole, near the bridge, over the fingerboard, buffed ... Pretty ambitious, huh?\"

Have you listened to the new Skarbye-Bass-demoes. Probably Thomas can give you some tips for achieving this high quality kind of playablity...

regards (& best of luck)

Harry

[This message has been edited by OH (edited 04-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by OH (edited 04-06-2001).]

I own Pure Guitars and Hans Zimmer 2. Usability and programming of Pure Guitars is the best I ever heard on a sampler!
    In comparison with the Hans Zimmer Guitars Vol.2. The sample attack of Zimmer at the beginninig of the sample sometimes cut off and the multisampling not always clear, the PureG is perfectly produced. Without exception all sound banks impress with an outstanding good playability and a harmonic sound. Ingo

I love Pure Guitars! The splits/velocities have extremely natural feel and are very playable without the need for tweaking. I never heard better acoustic guitars - on a sampler! Guitars are very difficult to multisample- therefore I feel great respect for the programmers.
    marco

Where do I go to hear a demo of Yellow Tools Pure Guitar?

Clueless

Go Back to forum