• Register
  • Help

Topic: Harry Potter: Aunt Marge's Waltz written by John Williams

Share/Bookmark

Harry Potter: Aunt Marge's Waltz written by John Williams

Hi everyone,

Here is a Garritan version of Aunt Marge's Waltz written by John Williams from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Any comments are welcome.

I hope you will like it.

Best regards,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Re: Harry Potter: Aunt Marge's Waltz written by John Williams

Hi

Like it . Is the reverb from ARIA player? Sounds fantastic.

-Svein

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. I'm glad you liked it.

All sounds come from Garritan GPO4 and COMB2 libraries. The reverb comes from QL Spaces.

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Hi,

Thank you for posting this, and let me know about the sounds. I love the reverb from QL spaces .

-Svein

Hi Fred

I presume that you are just using the Garritan (and other) libraries to explore and express your own musical inclinations, which is perhaps different to being a demo programmer, and I can appreciate the effort this has taken you much more than I might have a year or so ago.

I've tried to listen to it mainly from the point of view of appreciating your own musical expression or performance rather than just being critical, and enjoyed this very much as such, thanks!

From a more critical point of view, though, some of the balances/positioning were slightly unreal for me - for example the harp seems much closer than the strings, though that might be because I think you are taking a cinematic approach rather than simulating the layout of a real orchestra as such.

I'm impressed with your tight brass sound, though overall the reverb might be just slightly to heavy as the notes get a bit to blurred at one point, thoguh it gives a very nice floating feel to the music.

Personally, I think I'd be a little little more obvious with the comic value in the piece, particlular with the (mocking?) explicit references or hints at other pieces and styles. And there is a slight conflict/clash on the second to last chord, I think - if that's supposed to be deliberate it perhaps needs more emphasis. But maybe being obvious (less subtle) isn't always best.

Anyway, bending to my or anyone else's personal preference seems less important than expressing your own preferences in such matters, which is just as valid a way of making music as being a live performer or original composer ... maybe its not as quite creative perhaps as those other musical exploits, but its still creative - just creative in a different way according to your likes and abliities.

I hope you get more response here than you have so far with this or other of your pieces ... have you found any other forums better suited to sharing your musical efforts?

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your review of this piece. I'm glad you liked it.

Event if I own all Garritan libraries, I own of course other libraries. I won't enumerate them here. It's not the purpose on this forum.

All the sounds I have used in this mockup come from Garritan GPO4 and COMB2 (4 french horns and triangle).

I agree that I could do better balancing. It'm not very good in EQing and balancing. My ear is not that sharp for EQing.

Actually, I have bought recently an EWI USB for analyzing CCs. Once analyzed, I initially built this piece with other libraries not from Garritan. Once finished, I decided to convert all sounds to Garritant libraries and I could get this result. So, I wanted to share it on Garritan's forum.

As you mentioned, this piece has a funny background. And more than this, the ending is a clear reference to Rossini finals of operas' overtures. More pricisely, it's a reference to the final of the overture of The thieving magpie. John Williams orchestrated the ending with his harmony (a lot 7th and foreign notes in the last two chords played by the 3 trumpets, etc.) and orchestration (woodwinds scales runs, brass triple tongs, etc.).

I didn't intend to reproduce exactly the same as the original. It's not my purpose. My purpose in rebuilding pieces is interpret them with the right spirit. Sometime I catch the spirit of a piece, sometime, I don't. In Harry Potter's music, I have caught the spirit of the musics. I have tried Jurassic Park main theme, and it was a failure. Most Johann Strauss attempts are success, Mozart attempts are failure. It depends if I have it or not.

I don't know much other forums to share my work except the one from East West (sorry) where I post my work done with their libraries. You can find the same piece on their forum. But usually, I don't have much replies when I post my works.

I hope I answered your questions.

Thanks again for your reply!

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Awesome work! I can see Aunt Marge floating away right now...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Nice work Fred. Good phrasing, good tempo, and good playing of the woodwinds and brass. The high strings are less convincing, especially on the short articulations, but the (few) runs on the other hand do sound natural.

I recently heard this piece while watching a HP movie with my daughter, and the music is indeed mocking. I didn't know it referred to Rossini!

Thanks for sharing.
    Theo

@SeanHannifin:
    Thanks Sean, I'm glad you liked it.

@Theo:
    Thanks Theo for your reply.

I'll try to do other pieces with Garritan libraries.

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Go Back to forum