• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I have a complaint about Garritan World Instruments

Share/Bookmark

Angry I have a complaint about Garritan World Instruments

I just bought Garritan World Instruments for $150, and I really don't like it.

The fiddles sound more like a harmonica, they just don't sound right.

And the wind-instruments like the recorders, can only play one note a time, and I use play different notes at the same time (to make it polyphonic).

I think these $150 was a big waste of money

Re: I have a complaint about Garritan World Instruments

I can't help you with the sound of fiddle, although I'd like to know what you think of the 'World Fiddle' demo song on Garritan.com

As for the monophonic flutes (or any instrument of that library) It uses that neat feature called Auto-Legato(cc102) that you can deactivate in the controls tab, so you can play polyphonic lines. That's gotta be in the manual somewhere
    Éric Patenaude, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Quote Originally Posted by philosopher View Post

And the wind-instruments like the recorders, can only play one note a time, and I use play different notes at the same time (to make it polyphonic).

I think these $150 was a big waste of money
    In my experience the percussions alone are worth that money. The fiddles sound just like as in the demo, I hope you listened to those before buying
    There are some very good instruments in the library, and most of them are really ok.
    If you have any problems with using it, and getting the most out of it, this forum is a very helpful place.

Thank you for your answers, I will try it

If an instrument only plays one note at a time, it is reflecting what the real instrument does. A recorder cannot play more than one note at a time in real life. Best bet for recording is to layer each individual instrument on multiple tracks if using a sequencer.

Make sure you read the complete users manual to learn the various controllers to bring the instruments to life. World Instruments is a pretty deep library especially when it comes to the amount of instrument options.

Jim

I have to agree that the fiddle sounds... odd. However, the percussion is quite good, and there are a few gems among the woodwinds. I don't think this library is best on it's own, but rather, sounds best when meshed with other libraries to give a song a little ethnic color. That's how I've had the most success with it.

The fiddle has been updated and will be included in an upcoming patch. Features such as portamento and auto-legato have been majorly improved. For now my advice is to opening the Controls page on ARIA and changing the EQ settings and Bow Noise, this will drastically change the character of the sound. Hopefully you'll find a better sound that you like for the fiddle.

We do appreciate your feedback and comments on the instruments. We are keeping track of all of the comments to improve the library over the course of free updates.

Personally, I'm astounded by the amount of comments we've received regarding the Fiddle. Which is one of the last instruments that comes to my head when thinking of World Instruments. What comes to my mind is percussion: Djembes, Udu, Ewe Drums, Taiko Drums, Tablas, Gongs, Cymbals, rattles and noise makers. Pitched percussion: Kalimbas, Blocks, Bells, Gamelan, Steel Drums. Rare wind instruments, rare stringed instruments, and so on ect. You'll have to excuse the bad analogy but it's like buying an all terrain vehicle and then racing it on pavement, and complaining that the vehicle doesn't do so well.

As Eric mentioned please check out the Auto-Legato feature on the Controls page. Also make sure to note the various controls for dynamically controlling all of the wind instruments on the same page. Vibrato Amount, Air Noise, Filter, EQ, Variations 1, and Variations 2. These will help you sculpt the sounds even further.

G’day chad,

I support you when you say:

You'll have to excuse the bad analogy …”

I think, each instrument should be presented at its best. You seem to say that some instruments matter more than others. This would be true on the basis of individual users.

The main instrument I was looking for in GWI was the violin played in the style of a fiddle, closely followed by many other instruments from Europe and the Middle East, instruments that have not made it into a modern symphony orchestra. I am pleased that many of those instruments have been included in GWI.

It is also good to have so many of the other ethnic instruments. However many of them I will only be able to use for interesting effects, as I am insufficiently familiar with their use.

No doubt, other users may favour other instruments.

Herbert
    GPO, JABB, CMB, GWI, GOFRILLER, HALION PLAYER, ACCORDIONS by E Tarilonte
    Cubase 6, Notation Composer, VSTHost, GoldWave audio editor.

Interests:
    Good Food, Gemütlichkeit, Wein Weib und Gesang – History, Politics, Civil Law –
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

Quote Originally Posted by sonata5920 View Post
    G’day chad,

I support you when you say:

You'll have to excuse the bad analogy …”

I think, each instrument should be presented at its best. You seem to say that some instruments matter more than others. This would be true on the basis of individual users.

The main instrument I was looking for in GWI was the violin played in the style of a fiddle, closely followed by many other instruments from Europe and the Middle East, instruments that have not made it into a modern symphony orchestra. I am pleased that many of those instruments have been included in GWI.

It is also good to have so many of the other ethnic instruments. However many of them I will only be able to use for interesting effects, as I am insufficiently familiar with their use.

No doubt, other users may favour other instruments.

Herbert
    Hi Herbert,

Thank you for your comments. That's not exactly what I meant by my bad analogy. In any case, the real benefit to all GWI owners is that this feedback will play a key role in shaping next World update. Along with a killer Fiddle update.

I also have a GWI feature request and bug thread open here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...Requests/page6

Even though I may not answer every post, we've been reading them all and taking them all into account for the next World update. Please don't hesitate to give us more feedback if you have any more suggestions critiques and ideas!

Best Regards,
    Chad

Hi, Chad - I remember it was quite a few months ago that improvements on the fiddle were beta tested. I'm surprised those updates still haven't been released--It's been over 6 months I think!

Randy

Go Back to forum