• Register
  • Help

Topic: Scarbee J-Slap is shipping!

Share/Bookmark

Scarbee J-Slap is shipping!

Hi,

I am happy to announce that Scarbee J-Slap is shipping.You can order it for US$ 149 at NemeSys Site.
    http://www.nemesysmusic.com/sounds/index.html#bass

Cheers

Thomas www.scarbee.com

[This message has been edited by SCARBEE (edited 03-29-2001).]

Re: Scarbee J-Slap is shipping!

Done!
    do you have some more midi files available to the public. I have checked the one on your web site and must say it looks like \"difficult to play\". Midi bits or mini sequences would help a lot to enjoy your wonderful library from the start.

Hi Toby,

Thanks for buying the CD!
    Please read and study the manual very carefully and look for inspiration in the MIDI-files of the demo songs on the CD (1-3) and demosong 4 (on my web: www.scarbee.com).
    In these demoes you will see most of the bass techniques. You are free to use ANY of the licks in your own songs. I have just added some new Disco bass MIDI.files that uses the advanced technique of cross-hammering octave playing - it IS possible to play on a real bass...

I know you will feel great when you have made your first bass-line - a cool feeling.

Please give me ideas to new midi-files and I will make them! I hope that we will end up with a large number of MIDI-files. This is a major part of the concept of Scarbee bass libraries - it must be \"always developing libraries\" - not a \"dead\" one.

Thomas

I have just created a new MIDI-file:
    \"G-Groove 1\"

It\'s uploaded to my web.

PS. Remember that there are 2 different approaches to the Scarbee bass Libraries:

1) The jam bass (simple - no program changes)

2) The Studio Bass (advanced - for the purist..)

Scarbee, the demos sound really great, I\'m impressed. I know one fellow that plays much like your demos sound and he just kicks butt.

Does this library work well with the original Gigasampler? I looked at the one demo midi file and it looks like you program-change all over the place, presumably for each sound and technique. I haven\'t experimented, but is there a lag in GS after a program change before the new note can sound, or is it instantaneous? And do notes from old programs continue to sustain through a program change on a single channel(if they were programmed with long envelopes?) Some of my romplers do this well, but I haven\'t experimented here with GS.

I\'m also curious about the slides. I guess I would normally assume they are done with pitch bends, though I don\'t know how natural that sounds with a bass sample (I do find GS\'s pitch transposition to be very good, much better than my aforementioned romplers). But your notes seem to indicate that you have different samples for slides. I wonder how this works for slides of different intervals and times. Seems like it could be hard to match the slide time to the tempo of your song.

I didn\'t see any cc\'s in your midi file. Do you use cc\'s to switch dimentions for techniques, or is all the switching in program changes?

Thanks for tips. I\'ll pick up this library if I can be convinced that I could use it effectively. It does seem like a deep heavy instrument that could take a long time to master, not that that\'s a bad think (I love my modular synth...) but I\'d like to have a better idea of what I\'m in for.

Also for my curiosity, did your bass player have phenominal chops (like could he play your demo songs live)? Just curious how much he was enhanced by good programming... He certainly has nice tone which makes me suspect he was pretty durn good. And did you mic an amp or take the input from a DI?

Thanks Scarbee. I gotta say we sure have some good sounding libraries available for GS, and based on what I\'ve heard so far this one sounds very exciting. Also if anyone here has already received this library and has impressions, I would love to hear about it.

Hi Sam,

\"Does this library work well with the original Gigasampler?\"

Yes. Perfect.

\"I haven\'t experimented, but is there a lag in GS after a program change before the new note can sound, or is it instantaneous?\"

Cubase, Logic and Cakewalk differs a bit, concerning the priority of program changes, so if you want to be sure that the program changes come first, insert them just before the notes. But it works very fine.

\"And do notes from old programs continue to sustain through a program change on a single channel(if they were programmed with long envelopes?\"

If I understand you right - yes. A new program change note will work with the first \"new\" note after.

\"I\'m also curious about the slides...\"

There are 2 approaches to the slides:

1) You can use the pre-mixed slides.

2) You can use the slide-tails: you \"glue\" the tails (slides or grace notes up/down) to the \"back\" of a sustained notes. All the slides, grace notes, legatoes on the demoes are done this way.

\"...is all the switching in program changes?\"

On the demoes, I use 8 keyboard-triggers and program changes for position-change.

\"It does seem like a deep heavy instrument that could take a long time to master\".

It is deep - but compare it to practise on the bass for 10 years in a cellar... Still you can use the \"Jam bass\", which is easy.
    This bass uses modulation wheel to alter between the four dimensions: Sustained, Mute, Fast grace note up and legato.

\"Also for my curiosity, did your bass player have phenominal chops\"

Well - I am the bass player! If I spend all my time playing bass, it could be done, but I would rather make music, practice my vocal (Im a singer) and do more Sample CD\'s.

\"He certainly has nice tone which makes me suspect he was pretty durn good. And did you mic an amp or take the input from a DI?\"

Thanks. I have recorded the bass line-in. Since it is a complicated instrument, I want the bass to be useful for many years. Since the popular bass tone varies from year to year I wanted to make it possible to change your sound - without having to buy a new CD. Also It will be possible to update (more samples) the library, when it eventually get\'s \"outdated\" - technologically.

Thomas

Go Back to forum