• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: PAN Problem

Share/Bookmark

PAN Problem

I am having a panning problem using GPO 4 in Sonar 8.5.3. I don't know if the problem is caused by Sonar or GPO, or both. I just posted the following message in the Sonar forum at cakewalk.com. But since the problem might possibly be caused by GPO, I will post it here as well. Thanks in advance to anyone who could help.

--------------------------

Using Sonar 8.5.3

The two tracks in question have outputs assigned to the Aria Player, to the newest GPO 4. The first track is on channel 1, assigned to a violin. The second track is on channel 2, and assigned to a clarinet. No other tracks are assigned to GPO nor the Aria Player.

The first track is panned hard left, 100% to the left. I can see that both in the Sonar track view, and also on the mixer tab of the Aria Player window.

The second track is panned hard right, 100% to the right. I can also see that panning both in the Sonar track view, and on the mixer tab of the Aria Player window.

Yet, on playback , one hears both of those parts equally on either side. In other words, it sounds like they are both panned directly in the center, not according to how I set it.

I looked in the Event List for both tracks, to see if there were any pan controllers in it, that could conflict with the track settings. No, there are none.

What is going on? Can anyone help? Why are the two instruments not panning?

Thank you in advance.

Re: PAN Problem

Okay I'll take a stab at it...

First of all thank you for posting an actual music and software related question. It's been awhile!

I also use GPO4 and Sonar 8.5.3 (64bit). I know this is an obvious suggestion but could the stereo/mono switch on each track in SONAR be set to mono?

Also - if there is some sort of software between your OS audio and SONAR (like Creative's "Volume Panel") is it possible that some setting has been switched to mono?

In your media player (separate from SONAR) does audio behave normally (in stereo)?

You have probably checked these but I am at a loss otherwise.

Best of luck and I hope one of our "experts" will chime in on this!

EDIT: Check to make sure the audio is routed in SONAR from each channel's incidence to a corresponding channel in ARIA and that the ARIA channel outs are assigned correctly.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    Okay I'll take a stab at it...

First of all thank you for posting an actual music and software related question. It's been awhile!

I also use GPO4 and Sonar 8.5.3 (64bit). I know this is an obvious suggestion but could the stereo/mono switch on each track in SONAR be set to mono?

Also - if there is some sort of software between your OS audio and SONAR (like Creative's "Volume Panel") is it possible that some setting has been switched to mono?

In your media player (separate from SONAR) does audio behave normally (in stereo)?

You have probably checked these but I am at a loss otherwise.

Best of luck and I hope one of our "experts" will chime in on this!

EDIT: Check to make sure the audio is routed in SONAR from each channel's incidence to a corresponding channel in ARIA and that the ARIA channel outs are assigned correctly.
    Thanks for the reply, ReberClark.

Won't audio tracks for most synths be stereo by default? To insert the MIDI tracks, I went to the Insert menu, MIDI track. To insert the softsynth-Insert menu, Softsynths, chose Aria Player Multi_VST_x86.On the Insert SoftSynth options that come up next, only one box checked First Synth Audio Output. The MIDI tracks are both assigned to Aria Player Multi VST_x86.

The audio track certainly appears to be stereo. In looking at Track Properties of it, the input is listed as AriaPlayer MultiVST_x86, 1 Out 1/Out 2:Stereo. The output of the track is listed as Asio EchoPCI Indigo IOx virtual 1/2. Looks to me like it is both inputting and outputting in stereo.

I also now checked the sound card's (Echo Indigo IOX) console app., with the music playing. It shows audio activity in both virtual playback ports 1 and 2, and also in the analog 1 and 2, the actual output ports.The pan on virtual port 1 is set hard left, and on virtual port 2, hard right.

To me it certainly appears to be set up correctly for stereo. Or, am I missing something?

Well...I'm stumped.

The SONAR expert here is Randy Bowser (rbowser). I am hoping he will chime in on this, but I know he's busy working on a new musical. Maybe it is possible to PM him (private message) by clicking his username on his profile. If you haven't dealt with Randy before, he is a great and knowledgable guy who is extremely helpful.

My other audio go-to guy on this board is DPDAN (Dan Kury). His knowledge of audio is so deep that it is hard to imagine. He uses Digital Performer on a MAC and is very helpful as well.

Sorry I could not be of more help.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Quote Originally Posted by maiki View Post
    I am having a panning problem using GPO 4 in Sonar 8.5.3. I don't know if the problem is caused by Sonar or GPO, or both. I just posted the following message in the Sonar forum at cakewalk.com. But since the problem might possibly be caused by GPO, I will post it here as well. Thanks in advance to anyone who could help.

--------------------------

Using Sonar 8.5.3

The two tracks in question have outputs assigned to the Aria Player, to the newest GPO 4. The first track is on channel 1, assigned to a violin. The second track is on channel 2, and assigned to a clarinet. No other tracks are assigned to GPO nor the Aria Player.

The first track is panned hard left, 100% to the left. I can see that both in the Sonar track view, and also on the mixer tab of the Aria Player window.

The second track is panned hard right, 100% to the right. I can also see that panning both in the Sonar track view, and on the mixer tab of the Aria Player window.

Yet, on playback , one hears both of those parts equally on either side. In other words, it sounds like they are both panned directly in the center, not according to how I set it.

I looked in the Event List for both tracks, to see if there were any pan controllers in it, that could conflict with the track settings. No, there are none.

What is going on? Can anyone help? Why are the two instruments not panning?

Thank you in advance.

Sometimes Reverberance makes panning dont be perceived as planned. By the way dont have you any kind of Reverb applyed to the tracks (if not one from Sonar, maybe the one from ARIA?)
    Marcelo Colina

Make sure that you have the latest version of the ARIA Player which is 1.111. There is a panning bug in a couple of the prior releases.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    Make sure that you have the latest version of the ARIA Player which is 1.111. There is a panning bug in a couple of the prior releases.

Jim
    Aha! I knew a local expert would chime in! Maiki - let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    Well...I'm stumped.

The SONAR expert here is Randy Bowser (rbowser). I am hoping he will chime in on this, but I know he's busy working on a new musical. Maybe it is possible to PM him (private message) by clicking his username on his profile. If you haven't dealt with Randy before, he is a great and knowledgable guy who is extremely helpful.
    I also posted the question to the Sonar board and Randy answered there, and gave some ideas to try. So he does not need to reply here as well. Thanks for the tips here, which I will also try, and I will write back more later.

For the sake of our forum members that may have the same issue, I'll transcribe what I think is the key part of Randy's answer here:

Set the pan and volumes in the MIDI tracks, not in Aria, otherwise, your settings will keep getting written over.
    That's because Sonar sends CC7 (volume) and CC10 (pan) on every midi track all the time to which ARIA Player happily responds.

While you're at it, make sure you went to Options->Project Options->MIDI out, Uncheck "Zero Controllers when play stops" so the mod wheel (instrument volume) and other CCs won't be set to zero each time you hit Stop.
    Éric Patenaude, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Great to see you here at our Garritan home, Maiki.

But sorry you're apparently still having the problem. Good point, Jim "Haydn" brought up about you needing to be sure you have the most recent version of Aria.

Chip "Reberclark" went to where I did - feeling there has to be a mono element between Aria and your output. That's what Marce was also talking about.

Please let us know what happens when you go back over your routing with a fine toothed comb.

Randy

Go Back to forum