• Register
  • Help

Topic: Elgar Enigma Variation 5 - GPO Test against real recording

Share/Bookmark

Elgar Enigma Variation 5 - GPO Test against real recording

I got the 'Professional Orchestration' book, volume 2 that delves into orchestrating string melodies in an orchestra. It's full of 'exams' to take and the first one is the first 40-50 seconds of Elgars Enigma Variation 5.

This exam is purely about the low register of violins1+2.

This is the result - the first 40 seconds are my version in GPO/Finale. Then after that I found a (admittedly not very clear) real recording of the same piece so you can hear a comparison. If you have a better copy of that Elgar variation perhaps listen to that instead

http://www.gamesofcthulhu.com/music/...am_compare.mp3

Overall I'm very happy with the result, but more so happy with what I learned from doing this. Pushing the library for the sound, but learning how to manipluate it more to get an effect.

Re: Elgar Enigma Variation 5 - GPO Test against real recording

The attack of the accented notes should have been done with layering some solo string with vibrato, otherwise, the rendition appears pretty good for me.

Cheers briff - Didn't think of that. As it stands, because it's done in finale, there's currently no extra staves. The score is 'as written', but I know I would have to create extra staves that don't really 'belong' on the score to better the sound - which is fine as its not about the printed score, its about the sound results.

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Cheers briff - Didn't think of that. As it stands, because it's done in finale, there's currently no extra staves. The score is 'as written', but I know I would have to create extra staves that don't really 'belong' on the score to better the sound - which is fine as its not about the printed score, its about the sound results.
    I have done similar things using two sounds on the same channel in Aria then you still only have one staff.

I updated the sample above with convolution reverb. Gives it an overall deeper sound. Sounds much better to my ears, but is it too much reverb now? I've been caught out by such things in the past where I thought it was fine.

The new link with the convolution reverb is
    http://www.gamesofcthulhu.com/music/...ation_exam.mp3

The link in the first post still works, so a comparison between the reverbs can be heard.

Go Back to forum