• Register
  • Help

Topic: Reaper and GPO

Share/Bookmark

Reaper and GPO

So, I just downloaded Reaper and I have the original GPO (w/Kontakt 2), and I am feeling pretty dumb (may be the 3 hours of sleep I had last night) and do not understand how to use Reaper with GPO. I have no idea how to set up the VST.

Can anyone get me started? Thanks in advance!

Re: Reaper and GPO

Quote Originally Posted by FossMaNo1 View Post
    So, I just downloaded Reaper and I have the original GPO (w/Kontakt 2), and I am feeling pretty dumb (may be the 3 hours of sleep I had last night) and do not understand how to use Reaper with GPO. I have no idea how to set up the VST.

Can anyone get me started? Thanks in advance!
    ==

Hi:

Maybe these will help:

Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO) with REAPER

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...=kontakt+multi

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=373388

-- Harvey

That should help a lot. Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for those links, Harvey. Darkstar's walkthroughs, particularly, seem pretty comprehensive as a general guide and there's a lot of great info in there . On the subject of combining MIDI and audio on the same track, however, I think I'd respecfully decline - it seems fraught with pitfalls and, tbh, I don't really feel that the reduction in track counts would be worth the effort for an orchestral project. The "hybrid tracks" idea would, I suspect, be more relevant to a project where MIDI editing and management form only a small part.

I must confess that I haven't really used GPO3 since upgrading to GPO4 a couple of years ago, so had to "go back to school" a little before posting (hence the delay - brain cells are getting scarce these days ...). Since KP2 seems to be "in a world of its own" when it comes to output routings, I hope you don't mind that I've taken the liberty of putting together a summary of the basics for FossMaNo1 as follows:

1. With a new project set up in Reaper, click on the "FX Browser" tab in the "docker" window (bottom of the screen with the Reaper window maximized) - if the tab isn't showing then select it by going to the View menu and selecting it there;
    2. Navigate in the browser's "Explorer" pane (to the left of the docker) until you find the "VSTi" folder, and select it;
    3. We'll assume for the moment that you want a full Kontakt player instance, so locate the browser entry (right hand pane) that says "VSTi: KontaktPlayer2 (Native Instruments Software Synthesis GmbH) (32 out)"
    4. Click on the the entry with the left mouse button and drag it into a blank space in the TCP (left hand pane of the upper Reaper window)
    5. On reaching your destination and releasing the mouse button, Reaper will "whirr" a bit and display an FX window with a message box showing how it will construct the output routing. Ordinarily, Reaper knows what it's doing with multi-output VSTi's but KP2 unfortunately has its own way of doing things - so click on "No" to reject the proposed routing (once Kontakt is properly configured for the first time it will be a "Yes" for further instances)
    6. This is the bit where Kontakt's output routing is configured and also the bit where I get lazy! I did a search of these forums and found an excellent guide by the ubiquitous DPDan. Since Dan describes this rather repetitive process much more succinctly than I could and I didn't want to re-invent the wheel, his guide is at post #13 of this thread: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...uts+in+kontakt
    7. Once you've done all that (and made it default, as Dan suggests), close the Fx window then reopen it using the Fx button on the Kontakt Player track
    8. Back inside the Fx window, right-click on the effect name to the left of the window to pop up a context menu and select "Build Multichannel output for selected Fx ...". Reaper will now build a track list that matches the newly configured Kontakt routing.
    9. Close the FX window, save your project, and put the coffee on! (If you're still awake after all that ...)

Fortunately, all this only needs to be done once! For further instances of Kontakt (remembering of course that one instance will only support 16 MIDI channels), simply repeat steps 1-5 but this time click "Yes" to accept the proposed routing.

I won't go into the MIDI routing right now since Darkstar appears to have covered the basics anyway but if you need more specific help there please let me know (and wait with bated breath for another enthralling episode ...). I hope, in any case, that the above has gotten you a bit closer to your goal.

Incidentally the GPO4 upgrade is still available at the "loyalty discount" price of $49.95 (plug, plug ...) and it works quite happily side by side with GPO3 if you need more instruments for that "special" project (I've tried it - albeit only on a small scale). I have to say, Kontakt is possibly more powerful in some respects but Aria takes a lot less explaining !

Regards,

Keith

"A musicologist is a man who can read music but cannot hear it!" (Sir Thomas Beecham)

Go Back to forum